£40 for a new metal card?!

This may have been covered before, but I was just looking at the Metal fees, out of interest - £40 for a new metal card?! I understand that it must cost them a bit to make the card, but if I was paying £15 a month for a product (one where I can get more comprehensive insurance and free foreign currency at a lower price elsewhere, I might add) then I’d have thought one free replacement card for the exceedingly rare time it’s lost/stolen isn’t an unreasonable expectation. Why would I go with metal knowing that I would be paying £40 just to replace my debit card if something happens to it, on top of all the other stress if my wallet/bag has gone missing? Crazy.

1 Like

Wow, that’s steep and would definitely be a barrier to me singing up.

1 Like

Really? If you are paying £15 per month for what N26 offers, I’d imagine you could spend £40 on a replacement card if needed?

Personally, I’ve never needed a replacement card (thank god), and whilst I’d agree that they could include 1 replacement card for free, it wouldn’t put me off signing up.

1 Like

Producing a standard debit card isn’t that cheap, so producing a metal one isn’t going to be cheap.

A lot of the prepaid card companies charge £5 / £10 to replace just a normal card, which covers what it costs, so £40 isn’t that big a step in the grand scheme of things. Not sure £40 is what it costs, but N26 ships from Germany as well, that’s a cost that needs to be covered as well.

1 Like

I’m still amazed at how UK people are tweeting how happy they are with N26 and paying for it. I keep wondering what I’m missing.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t touch N26 with someone elses money personally lol

But people seem to love them, I think its the name that does it, its definitely not much else.

Same applies to Curve…

1 Like

To be fair, this is only what N26 or Curve re tweet…

There will be enough die hards who are loyal… Just look at the Curve forum! :joy:

2 Likes

Personally if I lose it, I’ll ask them to send me an N26 Black card :joy: it looks really slick still/

Personally, I couldn’t give a badgers bum what a card is made of. It could be made out of an old sieve for all I care as long as I don’t have to pay for it and it’s got one of those chip thingys in it that lets me pay for stuff, then that’s all I care about. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes