Amex Platinum Charge - alternative?

I disagree. Card usage in most of Europe now is massive. In the UK its over 50% of all transactions to my knowledge, even Germany is catching up with this.

If you removed the fee caps and kept the law that says “you can’t charge customers for usage of card”, do you think retailers would stop accepting it? I don’t think so. I’d just go somewhere else and so would everyone else that uses their mobile wallets or cards to pay everywhere.

On the scale of things, do you think the alternatives would provide you with better support during the same time period?

If it was just one bad experience out of many years, perhaps it was just an inexperienced CS agent, or an unfortunate circumstance?

I don’t think anything comes close to the rewards and CS in general.

I have a feeling you’d end up being very disappointed if you switched, and then realised that the CS was probably worse, with fewer rewards to go with it.

My parents live in Germany and card payments are only starting to permeate.

They now seem to have the V-Pay and Maestro debit schemes on cards in favour of their domestic girocard, but VISA and MasterCard are still not generally well accepted outside major retailers and big cities. It’s for that reason that issuers like N26 and Revolut offer Maestro cards in selected markets like Germany and The Netherlands - if they didn’t, VISA and MasterCards holders wouldn’t be able to use their cards at all. So far from retailers adapting, it is the card issuers that are adapting to meet the needs of the local markets in which they serve.

I’ve had a number of conversations with my parents, relatives, and friends on the subject of card acceptance in Germany, and they always give me the same two answers: (1) the general population do not trust banks, and (2) cards just increase the cost of things. This isn’t just a generational thing either - it’s the same from twentysomethings upwards.

I believe that the EU cap on fees is a significant reason that more retailers are starting to accept international cards in Germany, but card payments are still miles behind the levels found here. Cash is very much king. And to give you an idea of how antiquated things are (from my own perspective), my parents regularly order stuff online yet pay cash-on-delivery.

As Germans still don’t trust banks, I wouldn’t give them any reason to distrust further by removing the fee cap. If the EU did that, Germany would just pull up the drawbridge and return to their own domestic girocard product. It’s a cultural thing. And culture doesn’t change quickly.

(sam) #24

It would just inflate prices. The customer pays for everything at the end of the day. You’re basically asking for everything cost 2% more so you can claim back 1% of some of it.
If you say the market will not allow shops to increase prices, they can only do that by keeping wages low. So in real terms everything has become more expensive anyway

(Dave) #25

Very true. We can see the cashback and other rewards we are getting, and we like that. We can’t always see the price increases or increased cost due to lower wages, so we don’t dislike that as much as we like the rewards, even though the additional costs might outweigh the rewards.

No it wouldn’t :man_shrugging: businesses would just run on tighter margins to keep competitive.

Unskilled jobs pay low wages, what’s your point? I don’t see an issue with it. High expense places will take higher interchange regardless because they run on less tight margins, with brand name being important to the value.

(Adrian) #27

No they wouldn’t, they would all be inflating the price by the same amount to protect their existing margins. If they could drop the price to be more competitive while retaining an acceptable margin do you not think they would have already done it?

There’s always a way to cut costs :man_shrugging:

(Adrian) #29

Great, then they can do that now and drop their prices to get the jump on their competitors. Or just have a higher margin and make more money. No need to wait for any card fee cap to be removed.

I run a very busy part time business, Royal Mail is increasing the prices it charges us, I shall be passing on that price increase. Yes its only a few pence on each order, but I won’t be absorbing that price increase. It amounts to hundreds a week, as a small business, that is a lot of money to absorb.

When Paypal increases its fees, when our card company increases its fees. They are all passed on.

Why would the retailer cut their prices only to line the pockets of the big banks and card scheme operators. Retailers would simply look to accept other (cheaper) methods of payment.

People would go elsewhere

You think?

I think you’ll find people will go to where prices are lowest. And if that means retailers having to stop accepting expensive cards, favouring cheaper alternatives (like cash), then that’s what will happen.

I do. People like the convenience, people like paying with plastic, they like the protections offered (chargebacks) they like the as well as the ability to call your bank and have your card cancelled, should it be stolen. You can’t have money cancelled.

I don’t believe so, I still know plenty of places that had mostly card when they charged 50p to do so /shrug

You can incentivise card and make it cheap temporarily, it’d be cheaper for the government, in the long-term to subsidise card fees to get the adoption up :slight_smile: handling cash is expensive.

I don’t think you understand how it works, some of my items on Amazon for example are more expensive than our competitors, they are currently Amazon Choice or Amazon recommended. So people buy them even though its more expensive. Cost isn’t the most important factor nowadays. The same with our ebay, onbuy and so on. We are not the cheapest, but do very well by not being the cheapest.

People often wonder why something is cheap, they often go for mid range pricing. It’s just how humans work. Yes you will get some that will always go for the cheapest, but given a choice of prices, most don’t choose the cheapest.

People that shop in Lidl, will still buy brand name when there might be an unbranded item cheaper. Again price is not always the important factor, its a myth it is. A flight to Spain for an extra £30 lots will choose BA over easyjet.

(sam) #36

By reducing staff wages or benefits

(sam) #37

Can you please get this skilled / unskilled thing out of your head! Every job requires a skill of some sort.
Yes, jobs that require a fancy piece of paper may sometimes pay more but that doesn’t mean someone who doesn’t have it is unskilled. They just have different skills. My job could be considered unskilled but it doesn’t stop me making £60-100 an hour. Around a 200% increase on the previous job I spent three years training for.

No, it’s true.

Ah yes, the skill of stacking shelves at a place as opposed to writing the software for the self service checkouts. Equal pay, as they both require “a skill of some sort”.

No, they might just have a skill that isn’t worth as much, or maybe they don’t have a skill.

What job?

(sam) #39

Time Management
Logistics
Maths
Customer Service
Navigation
Attention to detail
Industriousness

I never said all jobs should pay the same, just stop talking about people on a low income being useless, good for nothing, droids. If they didn’t stack the shelves, you’d starve to death

Maybe I should have specified in more detail then? Widely known skills, such as being able to navigate a building you work at and being able to talk to people aren’t as valuable as, for example, the knowledge required to build a functioning computer network. Supply and demand, all that jazz.

I don’t think they’re useless or good for nothing at all, I think they’re the most vital part of a business, the part that makes it run.

No, they would stave to death, due to being penniless. I would simply watch someone else stack the shelves and then proceed to buy :slight_smile: