Amex Platinum Charge - alternative?

(sam) #41

Exactly my point

I’ve got two degrees, I actually starting working in a Supermarket stacking shelves while doing my first degree, I ended up as the checkout manager for a store taking 3 million a week I then went on to being a trainer for new store openings, I then got a job working in a global company that everyone has heard off, I then went on to working in another top FTSE 100 company. I currently work in a multi billion dollar organisation that is in the news most days in one way or another that employees 20,000 people around the world. My degrees had absolutely nothing to do with where I am nowadays. In fact I’ve not used my degrees apart from in a job for a couple of years and I needed to change my career path as that wasn’t working for me.

So I never put down those stacking shelves. That doesn’t mean that’s all they are good for.

I’ve worked for 8 companies in my life, 6 of them I bet everyone here has heard off. None of them needed to make use of my degrees.

I started a new business in July last year, I’m already VAT registered, already looking at recruiting others. All from a council estate supermarket stacking background. And all while still working full time.

(sam) #43

Well done daedal, you worked hard and done well.
I’d imagine you have a pretty well rounded skill set.

(Adrian) #44

I find it interesting that a lot of the examples of skilled jobs that require degrees that @recchan gives are IT related when in my view that is one of the easier industries to get in to without a degree. All of the training materials are online and the bar to entry is literally owning laptop.

I work in IT, but like @daedal my degree is nothing to do with it and has had nothing to do with any of the jobs I have had.

(sam) #45

It’s also very easy to outsource coding work

Sorry about that, it’s just the field I have the most experience with :frowning_face:

(Dave) #47

At that is what so often makes someone valuable. The individual skills and qualifications aren’t worth much on their own, but combined in a useful way across a range of different skill areas they can make a person hugely valuable.

@daedal Congratulations on your success :slight_smile:

Pretty much the same here too with regards to the job that pays me the most.

(sam) #48

Haven’t used my qualifications for 8 years either

Haven’t used my qualifications for 18 years either tbh

(Adrian) #50

Yes, I wish they wouldn’t though I spend all my time trying to sort those messes out!

Actually, on second thought, no keep doing it…

I’d rather they hire someone with an ability to write good code in the first place. Means instead of redoing shit you could be innovating :slight_smile:

(sam) #52

They can’t afford to because of the 2% amex fee
:joy::joy:

They need to rework their business model and cut costs :slight_smile: I heard getting rid of physical staff and automating a few jobs should be fine

In 1939, founder John “Jack” Gregg started touring Tyneside on his bike selling the ingredients for locals to do their own baking.

He soon swapped the bike for a van, but then left wife Elsie to do the rounds while he was away serving in World War Two.

By 1951 he had hit the high street, opening his first shop, Greggs of Gosforth, named after the area of Newcastle. With a bakery at the back, he was able to make, bake and sell fresh bread and other treats.

Well that lowly person, is the person who started Greggs.

Many stories of shelf stackers, people that deliver, people that clean toilets etc, that end up running multi million pound businesses.

(Dave) #55

Yes, and just to add that you don’t have to be running a multi-million pound business to be a successful person. There is a lot more to life than money, and that’s something I’ve learned the hard way once or twice.

What is the saying again, money makes the world go around?

Not that I particularly care about money, I just like the idea of not having to worry about money as well as being able to travel as I wish (I want to see all of Europe and quite a bit of Asia)

My goodness the arrogance in some of your comments is quite unbearable!

Like daedal I also started my career stacking shelves. (a job that I always enjoyed, by the way! - I didn’t actually do this job because I needed the money, but because I was bored at school. i staid there throughout most of university because it provided a nice break, and I liked my colleagues.) I now have a masters in physics, but never ever used it, because noone wanted to employ me. I’m now working in IT, entirely self taught. As others have said: your beloved high and mighty IT world is one of the easiest industries to get into without degree.

Also, despite being paid a ton of money, I feel that my job, in the grand scheme of things, is fairly unimportant: without me a few people wouldn’t have websites. :man_shrugging:

Those “unskilled jobs” on the other hand are crucial for our society: without shelf stacker, bin collectors, lorry drivers, brick layers we’d have no food, dirty streets, no amazon, no houses (to name just four of them).

(sam) #58

Let us know how that goes

(sam) #59

Totally agree, although no Amazon might not be a bad thing

It’s going pretty well at the minute :man_shrugging: