Amex unexplained interest

What kind of advantages do debit cards provide over charge cards?

My guess would be more that we’d be able to use American Express as our main bank (DD’s etc) - Rather than just a spending account.

I’d also love this!

(Don't Bullshirt Me, I know what the Fork is going on here!) #23

Exactly what @Nick said

Plus all the app benefits and also reissue of Apple Pay. When I upgraded my Amex from BA to BA Premium they upgraded and replaced the card in my Apple wallet on the next refresh

Sorry to take this off Topic. @Liam Is it worth splitting into a new one? Maybe called “I dream a dream of a better Amex :joy:

(Liam) #24

I am happy too - but I have no idea where to split it from. Any thoughts?

(Don't Bullshirt Me, I know what the Fork is going on here!) #25

No idea it’s a bit mixed when I read back. I’ll just start a new one shortly

Fair enough. Ultimately even if AMEX provided current accounts (with debit cards), I assume most people would still opt for the credit cards (Section 75, rewards/cashback).

AMEX provides some non-credit card services in the US, such as savings accounts and CDs.

Blame legacy rust for this. You’d think properly designed software would assign a “reason” to the interest transaction or log it somewhere but I guess they don’t have enough space on the punched cards for that extra information.

Is there anything that isn’t the problem of legacy? :joy:

Legacy software doesn’t mean that it’s poorly designed! It just means it’s old and there’s better practices and softwares now!

Is there anything that isn’t the problem of legacy?

In banking? A lot of problems & complaints would go away if they made software and user experiences on the same level as other modern apps.

Legacy software doesn’t mean that it’s poorly designed

Isn’t this the perfect example of badly designed software though? “Let’s charge the user fees but leave no record as to why”

Maybe you are just too lenient about this but as someone that does software and a bit of UX for a living I can’t stand stuff that’s been done badly. I don’t care what year it is, there isn’t any year where it’s acceptable to take an user’s money without any explanation as to why.

This may be an example of bad software design, but I’d not label it as legacy. I’d just say it’s bad software design!

I’ll have you know I’m going to be going into software engineering :wink: with the intentions of running my own business down the road, hopefully offering software as a service (I’m already saving so I can front the bill)

I don’t think I’m lenient, I just realise no amount of complaining is going to change things, the free market states if you don’t like their product - put your money where your mouth is and go use something else. If you’re not willing to do that, then their product is doing better than the others (for you) already, and they have no reason to change, from a business perspective. If you are willing to switch to a competitior, then why are you complaining?

Do you not remember the claimback scandle where one MP donated 5£ to charity and then claimed it back? :wink:

Seriously though, I agree with this, but complaining about an already built system won’t do much. Someone I’m sure will wipe the 6p charge or they’ll explain where it’s from. As long as they don’t send the baliffs down in the meantime, I’m not sure if it’s too much of an issue (especially considering it’s the first time it’s happened, from what I’ve gathered from @nanos)

I’m going to be going into software engineering

Any language preferences? Also what’s your SaaS about?

I just realise no amount of complaining is going to change things, the free market states if you don’t like their product

Maybe it won’t force them to change directly, but it will at least serve as a warning for everyone else to steer clear. In any case, I haven’t made that post to change things or anything, simply to voice my opinion.

the free market states if you don’t like their product - put your money where your mouth is and go use something else

Which is what I’m personally doing (no need for an Amex anyway and I’ve backed the Jaja credit card on Crowdcube) and why Monzo, Starling & co are doing so well.

I have no language preference, I’ll use what I feel is best for the job. I primarily deal with Python and Golang currently though (and I could use Crystal if needed)

<insert thing that’ll get me called a weeb neckbeard>

But basically I’d like to try my luck at some form of Google for anime/manga/ranobe related services.

True, I respect your opinion and I personally avoid things that are out of date tech wise (besides Nationwide due to my 18 year long membership & my friend bringing up my concerns at internal company meetings!)

:heart:

Look into Django as well. You’ll thank me later.

But basically I’d like to try my luck at some form of Google for anime/manga/ranobe related services.

Not gonna comment on the service itself but ask yourself whether anyone’s gonna pay for it (would you pay for it if such a service existed now? Answer honestly :wink:). The answer is most likely no, and I won’t even mention that running a search engine is super hard, you’re looking at processing tons of data, deal with abuse (“SEO” people trying to game the ranking mechanism), DMCA monkeys trying to take down content, etc.

I’m more of a Flask kind of guy :wink:

Yes, I would. Imagine the ease of a platform like Netflix where it’d also link to something like Trakt and then you could give your friends an exact list of what you’ve watched. Then imagine if you could use a reading client that’d track all your novels and manga :heart_eyes: it’d be a beautiful invention!

Then you just build onto this with more services, this would eventually cement users into your platform as there’s nothing else that can do it all and everyone is lazy. May I add that Crunchyroll exists and makes money, so there should definitely be a way to monetise everything else.

I’d also be able to branch into imports to garner some better revenue, I believe (especially as the EU have just signed a FTA with Japan!)

I didn’t mean so much as Google as in the Search Engine, I meant as in the interlinked services that you only need one account for.

They can take me to court :slight_smile: DMCA monkey’s are only powerful until they face the prospect of trying to take the money from you

Just FYI, taking someone to court is easy when millions are at stake and their government is not only corrupt in their favour, but your government is also friends with theirs.

Not saying I agree with them (DMCA and the MPAA can go to hell) but something to watch out for.

Trust me I don’t think I’ll ever be that successful, haha

Good luck expediting me to a corrupt country, the industries I’d go near are mainly by countries that aren’t currently trash.

Going back to Amex CS for a second… I was actually given… wrong information!

Dum dum dummmmmmmmm

Amazon refunded something to a closed account, and I asked if they could bank transfer the credit to my current account - They said it was being sent via cheque, and I’d have to bank it when it arrived (annoying, but such is life).

I’ve just seen that they have credited the payment back to my bank account!

So, wrong information, but a better end result.

(Adrian) #38

I would be surprised if they aren’t able to get this information, it’s just that first line support advisor didn’t have access to it, didn’t know how to do it, or didn’t want to spend the time going through transactions for looking for a 9p charge while the call centre is likely on a skeleton crew.

I would assume they’d have to be able to get this information, because if I wasn’t paying the charge and they took me to court for non payment, I’d assume that they’d have to prove that I owe them the 9p.

What’s really disappointing is that till today - over a week later - noone has contacted me about this, although the interest was mysteriously refunded yesterday (and backdated to the day of the original charge).

Guess I’ll need to phone them up again on Monday, cuz I’m not gonna just let that go…