Apple stopping spammers

I’ve only just discovered the above feature. I never answer calls not in my contacts list anyway. I’ve got about 300 blocked numbers in my blocked list, almost all from reported spammers. As far as I’m concerned, if they’re that desperate to get hold of me, they’ll leave a message. This new feature should just make my mobile life a little less irritating.

So basically Android call blocking then. I’ve been able to block unknown callers for years.

3 Likes

And now here’s me about to get all defensive lol!

No, I don’t give out my number to multiple companies and I always tick the box to say I don’t want any mobile phone contact. I’m registered with TPS too for all the use they are.

Sadly, unfortunately and often illegally, unscrupulous companies use random number generating software to call multiple numbers. They don’t even have a clue who they’re calling, they just hope that some mug will answer the call so they can foist their bullshit tripe about non existent accidents, pension scams and PPI bollocks, on to them. Most people know that scammers hardly ever use more than 5 rings before they end the call because they often they don’t want to pay for a connected call, merely let the phone ring long enough for someone to get a missed call in the hope that the poor sod they’ve rung will have a crisis about who the hell has just phoned them in case they’ve missed an important call. And there are plenty of people out there who just can’t help themselves and feel they must call the number just in case it’s some sort of horrendous emergency.

At the beginning of this year, I bought a pay as you go sim card from o2. Within the first 24 hours without even giving the number out to anyone, I had a spam call pop up. It happens, it won’t stop anytime soon.

The almost 300 blocked numbers in my blocked list? well that’s been over a period of about 3 years. As soon as a number I don’t recognise pops up, I just ignore it and block it. I don’t give a toss who they are.

1 Like

I’ve been using my number since October 1999 so, if my maths is correct, a similar length of time to you.

I have 67 blocked numbers.

I have no blocked numbers, I’ve had the same number for 10 years and only get 1 random call once every 6 months or so. Basically it happens so little that I’ve never found a need to do anything about it.

Any feature that helps stop spam is great. I have maybe 150 blocked numbers. Never had an issue until 5 years ago when I was in a car crash (in a company car so their insurance etc). After that, got calls nearly daily for weeks on end. Maybe 1 a month now. It’s ridiculous they can get away with it.