Apple Wallet/Google Pay loyalty programs

Hi,

I’m a big fan of storing loyalty cards in mobile wallets rather than using a companies own app. Does anyone know of any good implementations that I might have missed? As I am currently an Android user, I currently have the following UK loyalty programmes in Google Pay:

Boots:

• Art :white_check_mark:
  • Points balance :x:
  • Contactless :x:

Costa:

• Art :x: (although it used to, no idea why they canned it)

Nectar:

• Art :x:

Tesco Clubcard:

• Art :x:
  • Points balance :thinking: (It’s there, but it never updates for whatever reason)

Caffe Nero:

• Points balance :x: (Shame about this, I’ve seen some nice implementations that use the card art as a stamp card that dynamically updates)

Pets at Home:

Honestly, I think one of the biggest roadblocks in more places implementing the Google Pay Passes API is the dumb hoops you have to jump through to get access to it. It’s a lot easier to make an Apple Wallet Pass than it is to get one on Google Pay. Does anyone else know of any good implementations I should take note of on either platform? I don’t think there are any that allow contactless redemption in the UK which is a shame.

I have art work for Costa in my G Pay - no idea if it’s been removed since I set it up.

None of my loyalty cards have the point balance or use contactless.

I have Morrisons, Nectar, Costa, Co-op, John Lewis and Subway on mine. Only Costa, co-op and subway have the art.

I did find setting up Nectar to be a particular pain. Scanning the card would always add a couple of characters to the end of the barcode that wouldn’t play nicely. Had so set up manually.

Additionally, I find scanning the phone at Sainsbury’s to be a bit spotty. Some of their self-checkouts just refuse to scan a phone.

Sorry I should have been more clear, there are two ways to add cards to Google Pay. These are through the Google Pay app itself or using an app that has a button to add the card to Google Pay. Scanning the card for Nectar for example will result in a weird grey blue card with no logo. Installing the Nectar app and pressing the save to Google Pay button gets you a nice purple card with the Nectar logo :slight_smile:.

In addition, some cards rather than just a logo have some nice card art when added through an in app button like the caffe nero card.

I know I’m odd for being this in to mobile wallet loyalty but w/e.

2 Likes

Ah, OK. Got you. I’ve always avoided the loyalty card’s own apps because I didn’t want all that junk on my phone. Might have a look.

Like the Nero implementation.

Not the same thing, but I am a big fan of the passes implementation for things like Ryanair flights.

Yeah, I get that. I tend to install the app, add the pass, and then bin the app if I don’t think I’m going to get any use out of it.

1 Like

These are the cards I have in my Apple wallet

2 Likes

I just added a tonne of them into the NatWest app thinking they’d link onto my debit card… Nope. (100% my fault as I should have read the explainer text properly.)

Still, at least I’ve somewhere with them all stored now. :rofl:

How the overview and an example card looks for anyone curious:

Do you have to log in to the bank app before you can see your cards? Seems like a ballache to me

Yep, it’s a pain and probably something I’ll never use. I don’t see who they though the target market was here as you can simply just use Google or Apple Pay to store your cards?

I genuinely at first thought that like Bink they’d link them to my debit card.

Nectar and Shell are both on Apple Wallet, with art (to a limited degree) - and surely all are ‘contactless’? Not RFID though.

1 Like

I suppose yeah. I did mean RFID/NFC though sorry that wasn’t clear

Oh I think we all knew what you meant so it was clear enough, no worries :slight_smile:

Weird to me that Tesco Clubcard app still has this in their FAQs. I definitely think this was coming at one point when they introduced the contactless clubcard but I think development shifted to Tesco Pay+ at some point.

2 Likes

Nando’s Card offers contactless, point balance, and art on both Google Pay and Apple Wallet in Ireland and the UK.

3 Likes

Game changer!!!

2 Likes

Ok, I feel like I’m way behind the times here. Are some of the loyalty cards actually contactless? And some even show the balances in the app?

I feel like I’m missing out!

(Google Pay by the way)

1 Like

Yup!

You usually need to add them from a company app or website, rather than adding them from the Google Pay app itself. I think the Nando’s one mentioned above is the only contactless one we have in the UK right now though! It looks like this for anyone curious:

2 Likes

Oh wow. Mine looked nothing like that :sweat_smile:

I’ve just downloaded the Nandos app and re-added it to Google Pay, and now it looks like your screenshot. Thanks for that!

That’s actually quite nice. Have just done the same.

2 Likes

Personally I have a few loyalty cards in Apple Wallet but rarely use them from there, because not all of the cards that I have support Apple Wallet. But I found Stocard a while back and that’s what I usually use.

3 Likes