"Branching out"?

Came across this on Facebook this morning. Interesting move. Really steps away from the “app-only” approach they’ve always promoted.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

5 Likes

Wow. Now, that is a surprise.

1 Like

I see that too and was surprised myself.

1 Like

Do they mean a physical branch though? I assumed it was a play on words of some sort. I’d be very surprised if they are referring to an actual branch.

2 Likes

The thought did cross my mind, but not sure what else they could be suggesting?

But if their plan was to get people talking, then I guess it worked! :man_shrugging:

We told you we’re #BranchingOut. And we are…

Every time you refer a friend, Starling will plant a tree. Just another way we’re changing banking for good.

We’ve partnered with Trillion Trees, a joint venture for forest protection made up of three of the world’s largest conservation organisations: BirdLife International, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

More to come very soon! Oh sorry, did you think we meant something else? :smirk:

#BranchingOut

4 Likes

Well that’s positive I guess! Too early in the morning for me to see through these things :sweat_smile:

I can’t believe the anger on twitter when people thought they might be opening a physical branch.

5 Likes

Quite :joy:.

The Starling team will have been thoroughly enjoying the flurry of activity. A real branch, indeed - I mean - really !!!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be angry, I don’t see the point of it though and assumed a play on words or maybe a digital branch via the homepage concept.

I guess the Virgin Money lounges are nice as a concept but overall it’s not at all needed and an extra cost for little.

I can get behind planting trees however. :grinning:

4 Likes

Seems to be a lot of angry people.

You’re planting trees? That makes me so angry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.

4 Likes

£3 donation, which is then tax-deductible (I presume) - not exactly the most generous scheme

Prices per tree range from £0.20 to around £9, depending on the project, so I wonder if they’re donating to a specific project.

Edit:
Looks like they are donating to the Reforest Fund

http://trilliontrees.org/reforest-fund

We welcome the support of companies and individuals. With your support:

• £3 could plant one tree (and ensure it is looked after and able to grow into the future).
1 Like

Seems like a reasonably expensive tree they’re planting tbh, 0.20 being the cheapest then I’m sure there’s quite a few that are £1-2 so maybe it’s more like 1-2 trees per account :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just a good thing…:blush:

2 Likes

Team trees did it for $1 a tree but they were planting 20 million of them so they had economy of scale on their side

1 Like

I’m a bit confused. Are they donating to WWF who are then in turn funding trillion trees with said donation?

What’s the actual flow here?

I do like the WWF, but don’t they have discretion over how that £3 is used, so may not be used to plant a tree? It just happens that £3 is the equivalent to the cost of the WWF planting a tree?

The whole thing is a partnership. WWF just handles the money, I think.

Yes, they don’t guarantee that the money will go towards one tree, but, as that’s their raison d’etre, there will be some tree at the end of it :joy:

2 Likes