Card Fraud - Prevention Methods

A topic based on ways of preventing card fraud. Please post any tips and tricks you have come across to help ensure the safety of your finances. Here is a small list I have come up with.

Don’t Keep All Your Eggs in One Basket

If your details become compromised, you risk losing everything in one fell swoop. The more you share your details online (during transactions etc.) the greater the risk that your details will be intercepted. Spyware on your device, key-loggers, unencrypted websites and highly convincing phishing scams can all lead to the loss of sensitive data. Additionally, should you lose your card or fall victim to card skimming, having your money spread across multiple accounts helps to minimise loss.

Additionally, relying on a single password for all of your online accounts is ill advised. At the very least, it is imperative you ensure your email password is different to all others. Should an online scammer gain access to your emails, there is no end to the potential damage caused. Consider using a Password Manager to ensure the safety of your accounts, allowing you to generate long and complicated passwords, without having to remember what they are.

Use Credit & Debit Cards in Tandem

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act protects purchases on credit cards between £100 and £30,000. This allows you to claim a refund in the event that your card is used fraudulently.

In addition to security, using a credit card allows you to garner rewards for your spending, potentially cutting costs as well as helping you to increase your credit rating.

Be sure to setup a Direct Debit between your Credit and Debit account in order to pay off the card each month without incurring fees.

Separate Your Direct Debits

In the event that your main spending account is compromised, having a separate account for Direct Debits ensures that all of your bills are paid on time and without interference.

Consider a "Travel Account"

Digital banks like Starling don’t charge fees on foreign cash withdrawals. If you’re a frequent flier, having an account solely for travelling helps to save money, as well as ensuring your main back account is safe from potential harm.

Freeze Your Finances

If your card is able to be frozen using its specific banking app, why not freeze your finances until you need them? This may help to keep your money safe whilst at work, watching a movie or even fast asleep.

2 Likes

Never save your card details on any merchant site. If you want to make payment flow easier then store them in your password keeper.

2 Likes

Hard to do when you’re subscribed to services like Netflix. Also I think it’s safe to leave your card details with Amazon and Apple.

It very much depends…My dad had his Amazon account password hacked and they “bought” a laptop from Germany through the Marketplace. Obviously he never received a laptop and the seller vanished from the site straight afterwards. Amazon refused to help him despite multiple attempts and we had to go via his bank to get a chargeback carried out to resolve the issue.

Amazon should have detected unusual activity and asked for additional verification. They do this everytime I sign on a new computer or have an unusual IP address.

Then again, it won’t surprise me if your dad used the same password for his Amazon and his e-mail account.

Amazon will only let you used saved card details to ship to a previously-used address with that card.

Yup, however nothing was shipped - the fraudsters just wanted the money from the fictitious laptop sale. This was a few years ago now so I’m hoping they are more aware of security these days, my dad certainly is!