Cloud Storage

Hi Guys,

I have various Cloud sync/storage solutions (not confusing with Cloud Backup).

I do have Google/OneDrive/iCloud. None of these really offer a “secure” solution.

I am considering either pCloud (+Crypto), and also sync.com which offer a more secure solution.

What do you guys use?

Glen.

AWS S3, specifically the Deep Glacier class of storage.

2 Likes

The services you are using are very secure, unless you’re afraid of security services / police taking an interest?

Yes, I’m interested to know what’s not secure about OneDrive, as I use it extensively.

1 Like

SpiderOak are renowned for their security: https://spideroak.com/

I use both Sync.com and pCloud (with Crypto) and I would definitely recommend Sync.com. End to end encryption with zero knowledge.

@6x4 @Graham I also use the usual suspects such as Google Drive and OneDrive, though they are less secure than Sync.com. A rogue employee at Google or Microsoft could access your personal files as the companies control the encryption keys. With Sync.com (and some other providers), they have no knowledge of the encryption keys and no way of accessing your files.

2 Likes

I like the looks of sync.com – When I previously said about “secure” I guess what I meant was secure as in encrypted. @danmullen has explained it very well actually!

2 Likes

To be perfectly honest the best solution is probably what I’m doing, I think?

Get a domain + Google for Business account. Unlimited storage.

For security, encrypt it on your local client with BoxCryptor or Cryptomator or alternative flavour of program.

You hold the password to decrypt each thing you put on there and their respective apps will open them as virtual drives once you get it all set up and decrypt it. (You won’t be able to access the original files you have to get the sync + then use their programs to decrypt)

1 Like

Good shout, what do you prefer BoxCryptor or Cryptomator?

2 Likes

Are any of these alternatives free for individual use?

1 Like

Cryptomator is free I believe. Although you can make a donation.

3 Likes

The cloud storage services I mentioned aren’t free. Remember the old saying though… “If you aren’t paying for the product, you are the product”.

4 Likes

Ok.

(Trouble is, I’ve never understood that phrase). :flushed:

I use them too and recommend them. It is similar to Tresorit (which I have also used and recommend) but a bit less expensive.

2 Likes

It basically means if something is offered for free then it’s possible (and even probable - but not always the case) that the company is getting some data from your usage that they can sell for marketing purposes even if it is anonymised.

4 Likes

Anyone testing ProtonDrive?

Had ProtonMail since the beginning and haven’t looked back.

Thanks Dave. It’s simple when you put it like that. :grinning:

The likelihood of this actually happening to you is so incredibly low that you need to consider if the cost is really worth the perceived benefit.

If all you’re doing is making your life more difficult with no gain then you’ve failed at security.

Gdrive, OneDrive, iCloud are perfectly secure for 99% of use cases.

So it really depends what your using it for and why you feel you need it to be ‘secure’ (presumably encrypt at rest before transit). I’ve seen this question more than a dozen times and in almost every case the threat that they thought they were trying to protect themselves from was still there because they failed to consider their security as a whole and became hyper focused on the latest security buzz word.

What do you need to protect?
What do you need to protect it from?
What’s the likely hood of it actually being compromised?
Be realistic
Build your security appropriately around you’re actual real world threats

(the government isnt a real threat for 99.999% of your data, and if they are, this isnt nearly enough and your missing huge holes.)

6 Likes

That’s helpful, @Eden, thanks.

If this sort of thing is something people are looking at (protecting your data more) then it’s well worth taking a little time to exercise out your whole security.

That may be for example that iCloud is perfectly fine for almost all your data but that you encrypt sensitive backup codes or other highly sensitive information before keeping them anywhere keeping the encryption keys as well safe elsewhere.

The reality is a lot of people could do with improving their security and the security of their data and how they use cloud storage, but for most people it’s just going to be a slight shift in how they use their existing provider than looking to encrypt everything.

Not to say that full blown encrypt all the things isn’t the right choice, but without knowing why your doing it it’s sometimes a pointless exercise.

3 Likes