Emma - Money Management

So the new version has arrived in TestFlight for IOS (Android on it’s way apprently)

Image is grainy due to having to reduce the file size, plus I’ve scrambled the data.

First thoughts a lot cleaner and easier to navigate. The Analytics screen is better grouped, by Categories and Merchants and the budgeting screen is easier to use.

Rather limited to who you can connect to at present, but more on the way apparently. I’ve linked my Starling (which shows goals) and First Direct.

I’ve reported a few glitches and ideas via the in app chat already, which always seems to be answered by Edoardo the Founder and CEO. He’s very responsive in terms of ironing out issues and eagerly welcomes ideas etc.

Anyone tried the new version?

Yep - Only briefly though.

I never used the previous version due to it’s UI - I wish they’d gone slightly less… colourful still (although it’s an improvement).

It’s certainly better than before, and is a good option for the people who spend on credit cards and the challenger banks.

(Lee) #3

I really like the UI when you get further into the detail and away from all the colour on the first screen. I love the accounts page with the colour transitions and the way information is presented in the transaction details page. It would be nice to see a bit more colour like this in the starling app. It feels a bit neglected in some areas and a bit like a wireframe in some parts of the app and would benefit from a bit of tlc. In between Emma and the current starling app would be a happy medium for me.

(DΛVΞ) #4

Is anyone else having an issue linking Emma to Starling? I thought I’d give it a try earlier, so I selected Starling within Emma, and the Starling app opened up, then displayed a generic error message (it basically tells you to check your network connection). I messaged Starling CS, who asked me to reach out to Emma CS. So I messaged Emma CS, and they said they are reaching out to Starling.

I saw they were having issues the other day on Twitter.

Just checked mine - all ok.

I can see latest transactions and balances (including Goals).

(DΛVΞ) #7

Emma CS got back to me and said Starling have fixed the issue, and are pushing an update out imminently.

(DΛVΞ) #8

Just curious if anyone knows if there are any implications of attaching Amex to Emma? (i.e. in the case of fraud on your account, will Amex turn around and say because you’d given your details to a 3rd party, you’re culpable?).

When attaching Emma to Monzo and Starling, Emma seems to use the OAuth flow, where it launches the relevant banking app, and asks within that app if you want to authorise Emma. So no credentials are explicitly given out by you. With Amex, it takes you to a TrueLayer login screen, and wants you to enter your Amex login details. So you are explicitly giving your credentials to a 3rd party.

Just to note, I spoke to Amex CS via online chat, and they were very non committal on the whole matter. Maybe they just didn’t know what Emma was, so erred on the side of caution?

Without knowing, I would say this was exactly it.

However, I’d also be keen to understand it - Have you tried asking Emma directly (Eduardo is usually pretty responsive).

(DΛVΞ) #10

Not yet, but I will do. Thanks.

(sam) #11

Most terms and conditions say not to share your login details in this way

(DΛVΞ) #12

Yeah, that’s why I spoke to Amex, as it seemed like you’d be in breach of your T’s & C’s if you linked accounts in that way.

Truelayer logs in to your account the same way you do. Unless you tell your bank, how would they know it’s not you as you can log in from anywhere yourself.

(DΛVΞ) #14

That may be the case, but you’re still giving you banking credentials out. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with that? :man_shrugging:

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest but I’ve fully switched to starling so no longer a concern for me.

I doubt truelayer has ever been hacked and even if it was all the details you supply are encrypted. Even after that beyond looking at transactions your bank should ask for some form of two factor authentication if someone tried to do anything more significant with your account.

Open banking is meant to solve this problem but obviously that’s not been implemented very well so far.

(DΛVΞ) #16

Fair enough. But there are others (i.e me) who are a bit less comfortable with this approach.

As I say, each to their own.

Well yes I’m far more open to all this new stuff than probably most people :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m probably also not the best person to take advice from on being sensible :joy:

(sam) #18

That’s exactly the problem, if they logged into your account and emptied it you couldn’t prove it wasn’t you. The bank would say it was you.

If anyone had stolen your details they could login as you do though. If someone gets your login details and your method of two factor authentication then the bank will blame you because that would be classed as grossly negligent.

You only provide your login details to truelayer as they only view your transactions. If they are hacked it doesn’t matter as no one can transfer money out of your account because they would need the two factor authentication method your bank uses as well which you don’t give to them.

I don’t know how other banks work but if I wanted to do anything other than the basics with santander I had to use a code sent via text. If someone got my login details it wasn’t the end of the world.

(sam) #20

I’d have a good browse through your transactions, call the bank to change your phone number, they’d ask me a few questions like, how much overdraft do you have, how much did you spend at Apple store.on 23rd October, what direct debot goes out on 3rd of each month, all of which I would have access to. Then get a code sent to my phone and empty your account. Scary how easy it makes it to get.burgled when you give the keys out.