Facebook are Selling Your Phone Number to Advertisers!

(l8n.me) #22

Deadnaming is purposely calling a trans person by the name that they were previously known as to purposely insult or demean them. It’s what the papers do all the time for example; they’ll discuss some poor trans woman shot and killed then say “Angela, who was born Ian”, when clearly Angela wanted to be called Angela, but it works as a nice little dig to remind everyone they were trans and used to be known as Ian.

It’s one that people are far too touchy and emotionally attached to for me to get into. The last time I did I got retweeted by some SJW Twitter account and had to nuke the tweet before I got bombarded with hate for stating facts :sweat_smile:

(Liam) #24

Look - It’s outside the scope of a thread about facebook’s use and alleged abuse of personal data.

But - I think you’ve got to be pretty shitty to purposely select language that you know will cause hurt, just because you think you’re making some kind of point.

Perhaps a little less judgement and a little more showing of a little courtesy to others.

Let’s gp back to Zuck’s big plans with big data…

Curious, do people feel the same about Google as they do about Facebook?

The whole adverts things has never bothered me too much - I’m going to get ads anyway, I’d rather they were related to things I may be interested in, rather than random stuff.

I’m not a fan of Facebook, but messenger still has a use in my social circle.

iMessage is still the most popular way, with WhatsApp 3rd (after Facebook Messenger), in my social circles that is.

I’d love to get everyone I know onto a decent privacy conscious app, but like @Liam, I’d be the only one.

(l8n.me) #26

I love everything about Facebook, especially the money they pay me. Some more would be nice though, so you all better give them more personal data they can sell and then give me some more. :pray::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

I’m trying to do my bit here to get things at least in the general area of the topic… :see_no_evil:

(Liam) #27

Even when I was on facebook it used to irritate the crap out of me that facebook wanted me to have their messenger app on my phone. I killed that off a couple of years ago.

They’re apparently merging WhatsApp into messenger soon anyway.

Google is certainly in the same league as facebook when it comes to data.

(Liam) #28

I’ve got my facebook file up now…

Under previous relationships they list an ex who I know I never told facebook about, because I’ve been running down the amount of personal info in there since about 2012.

They also list my high school and I know that I deleted that around the same time.

Interestingly though, they don’t list some of the other things that they will have taken from me, like a dump out of every contact and phone number on my phone or every app installed.

This is a list of ‘advertisers with my contact info’…

• Facebook
  • Ansel Elgort
  • eBay.co.uk
  • Sasha Sloan
  • FutureTech Expo
  • Greatest Showman
  • Amazon Music UK
  • The Sun Football
  • Outbrain
  • Logic
  • Spotify
  • Groupon
  • Santander UK
  • LANCO
  • Nace / Global Talent Network
  • NatWest
  • The Post
  • Quantcast Measure
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance
  • Facebook Business
  • Superdesk
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Camila Cabello
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Quantcast
  • MailChimp
  • eBay.de
  • NBC News
  • Xbox
  • The National Lottery
  • PediaSure US
  • Trippie Redd
  • LoveAgain.com
  • Prime Video UK
  • Pippa
  • Amazon Echo
  • F&F
  • Red Sparrow
  • Nina Nesbitt
  • Jake La Furia
  • DVBBS
  • Just Eat UK
  • BBC iPlayer
  • Curious Cat App
  • Amazon.com
  • Bulb
  • eBay Canada
  • Dropbox
  • Sainsbury’s
  • Charlotte Lawrence
  • William Hill Offers
  • Romeo Santos
  • Betfair
  • Maze Runner: The Death Cure
  • SEE Tickets
  • Future Tech Daily
  • Troye Sivan
  • Love, Simon
  • Amazon.co.uk
  • EDEN
  • Niall Horan
  • J Balvin
  • PayPal
  • The Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Nicky Jam
  • Chobani
  • misterb&b
  • NER*D
  • Tesco
  • William Hill
  • Qdoba
  • Virgin Trains East Coast
  • Epicenter Experience
  • XCHNG
  • Ali Shaheed Muhammad
  • Microphone Check

I gave my permission for precisely none of them to have that data.

(Neil) #29

I do know that Google are massive data hoovers as well, but I’ve always found Facebook to come across as more cavalier, right back to when I deleted my FB profile after ‘yet another’ change of privacy settings…

I’ve more recently had FB messenger as family are on it, but (even without allowing access to contacts) it was making alarmingly knowing suggestions about who I should connect with, so I deleted it at the start of the year.

With the new about the messenger merging coming, I also deleted Instagram recently (I had realised how much mindless scrolling I was doing, as well).

I’d love to lose WhatsApp too, so I could be more rid of FB (aside from their shadow profile of me), but I have too many friends and family on it who I know I’m going to struggle to encourage to move off it. If anyone has any suggestions of how to get them to move to Signal/Telegram/whatever, I’m open to them.

(Adrian) #30

I’ve tried to wean myself off Google a few times but I always end up coming back - it’s especially hard when you have an Android phone.

Offer to buy Threema for them :slight_smile:

Ok, so a follow up…

What are people concerned about when it comes to their data?

With Google arguably being more of a data hoover than Facebook (but just about having a slightly more friendly edge to them), I would have thought the concerns would be shared with both companies.

If you use Google, I’m not sure you can be too concerned with what Facebook has on you…

Just my opinion of course.

(Neil) #33

Reechan

Offer to buy Threema for them :slight_smile:

Oh yes. Made of money, I am :wink:

(Neil) #34

[Nick]

Ok, so a follow up…

What are people concerned about when it comes to their data?

With Google arguably being more of a data hoover than Facebook (but just about having a slightly more friendly edge to them), I would have thought the concerns would be shared with both companies.

If you use Google, I’m not sure you can be too concerned with what Facebook has on you…

Just my opinion of course.

I should have copyrighted ‘data hoover’ :wink:

I do realise that Google hold an obscene amount of data about me. It does concern me.

But that said, Facebook seem (to me) to have made a lot more bad choices about the way they treat the data they hold.

I have no concerns, its part of how the world operates nowadays, if you want to use the internet and technology you will either have to accept it, or be so paranoid that you hide everything.

They all make it clear they are sharing data, you agree to it, or you don’t. I personally agree, it makes my life easier. I keep track of my data, so know if its misused. I use numerous sites, registered on hundreds, and not worried in the slightest. Nothing people can do with my data. I can cancel cards in seconds, I can see if people have used my details through my credit reports. We have lots of control. Browsers now have built in tracker blockers, internet security programs protect you from accessing bad sites. So the risk if you are smart is minimal.

I’d imagine that’s possibly true, but just because Google don’t cock up quite so frequently as Facebook, if I was concerned with my data, I’d be equally (if not more) concerned with what Google has on me.

As it is, I’m relatively OK with the personal data side of things.

I enjoy my life to be full of ease where possible, and that usually means syncing stuff together and using the devils service.

Maybe one day I’ll regret it, but I’m not too cocerned right now (then again, it’s not like I put my life out there).

(Don't Bullshirt Me, I know what the Fork is going on here!) #37

You will never escape from handing over personalised information but you can be intelligent about how/when/why you hand it over.

(Liam) #38

I saw this, this morning:

As soon as facebook or google buys 23andme then they own you!

(Derpa Derp) #39

Companies like Facebook and Google are just easy targets for people to rant at about them having your information etc.

I personally don’t care, everything we do is monitored anyway. Our ISP’s know everything we do online, the telco companies know who we call, the banks know where we spend our money and the government know where we travel.

We can’t hide and the likes of Apple etc banging on about encryption… well that’s just lulling us in to a false sense of security to alleviate our fears.

(Dave) #40

I just requested my data file from Facebook. In the email they send you to let you know the file is ready to download, they say:

“Because this file may contain private information, you should keep it secure and take precautions when storing or sending it, or when uploading it to another service.”

Ermm, OK.

Nothing too scary in my data file, but then I don’t use Facebook very much. I noticed that a number of message records just say “Facebook User” so presumably those are accounts of people who have had their accounts deleted.

(Liam) #41

There’s a difference between what data points a company has, what data a company actively exploits and what data a company sells to a third party for money.