Google Pay abroad

(Sam Nalty) #1

Just had a conversation with a fellow on twitter and apparently Google Pay doesn’t support CDCVM in some European markets such as Poland and Spain, and a PIN is required on transactions above the floor limit. Any idea why this is? Seems strange to me.

Furthermore, has anyone ran into this when using Google Pay in Europe? Cheers :blush:

Same happens with Apple Pay. No idea why as they’re theoretically secure!

If they changed to use revolving virtual card numbers too, that’d be even better.

In some countries the terminals are not enabled for it. It’s not anything to do with Google Pay or Apple Pay, if a countries terminals don’t accept it, then you can’t use it. Pointless Google making something enabled that has no chance of working.

As countries change how they operate payment systems and interbank systems, things change and get updated. In Africa for example very few terminals are CDCVM enabled, as the banks only use a slightly different form of EMV chip which means they can’t use CDCVM so its not enabled.

Not every country offers the same banking standards, even in Europe, the banking system of the UK is very different to that of say Italy in how they operate.

(Sam Nalty) #4

While that makes sense, the guy I was talking to said Apple Pay allowed him to do payment over €20 just with touch ID. Makes no difference to me, just seemed strange.

This was in spain BTW

The limit in Spain is normally 20 Euros however, Spain is one country where the limit actually varies depending on the bank, the card and the retailer. Some have a 25 Euro limit, some higher.

Isn’t contactless in the eurozone limited at 25€ in the majority of countries?

I’m a little unsure why this isn’t decided at European a level, to be honest. It makes sense as this would standardise travel in what should be a single state.

(Adrian) #7

Let the free market decide!

My value of the European Union outweighs that of my value of completely free markets, considering the continent would still probably be at war with itself if not for the European Union.

For what it’s worth though, the Union does typically consult experts and get a consensus before legislating. They also do listen to protests and other such things. Isn’t democracy just beautiful?

Werent we meant to keep politics to the relevant topic though, @Wilt? This is just an incredibly childish post of yours, I won’t say I’m better, but at least I don’t act like it.

(Adrian) #9

There’s no need for this, it was only a tongue-in-cheek one liner.

Was it :thinking: idk I feel like people have been trying to mock free-markets since I first mentioned them. I struggle with recognising sarcasm or comedy sometimes :bowing_man:

My apologies though, since it’s just tongue-in-cheek.

(Adrian) #11

Or maybe I’m just not funny :smile:

Limits are decided on a bank level. Each country has a central bank, and also a banking organisation, for example in the UK we have the British Bankers Association, together they work out limits. Limits are generally not regulated. France its 30, Portugal 20, Spain 25 in general. There is some European regulations, but it would be virtually impossible, to force a country to impose a limit. After all, the EU themselves talk about a free market, you don’t get a free market, by stopping adapting to the market forces in your own country.

(Liam) #13

This whole thing seems to have been put to bed before I turned up here - but remember personal attacks are a no-no.