Has Monzo’s Twitter account been hijacked by a student union?

I posted the following on Monzo’s forum and they immediately removed it.

Ah well. I’m hoping this forum will not be so censorious, and might consider discussing both the positives and negatives of U.K. banks.

Could it be that the person that runs the Monzo account has gone rogue and is using it to further their own politics?

Or is the bank taking an official stance on this?

I really resent Monzo using Twitter to endorse the book “why I’m no longer talking to white people about race” - this is nasty divisive rhetoric, pure and simple.

An isolated incident on the other side of the Atlantic should not be a prompt Monzo to make the implicit suggestion that white people in the U.K. are racist.

The police officer in question is being charged with murder, so the petition (which Monzo just endorsed) trying to get him sacked is moot in any case.

Why is a bank indulging in such student union activities?

Yes we know Monzo is staffed by young idealistic leftwing types looking for a cause to get behind, but could they please give the rest of us a break and focus on their day job?

5 Likes

Not sure that this is anything out of the ordinary. You’re not describing anyone going rogue, you’re describing Monzo!

They target a younger demographic, have made big pushes on university campuses and often make the kind of noises that go down well with their base. They know their audience.

A company is just as entitled to express a political view as an individual. Monzo isn’t a monopoly, if you don’t like their politics you are perfectly at liberty to bank with somebody else.

By the way, “isolated incident”??!! - I mean, American police have somewhat a reputation for this kind of thing.

4 Likes

Yes they’re taking an official stance on it.

Not a huge issue perhaps. What might be though is they linked to a site that advises donating to bail out funds, the trouble there is those funds may be used to bail out members of antifa. So they’ve perhaps accidentally linked themselves to a terrorist organisation.

1 Like

Not going to help their US endeavours as Antifa are definitely considered terrorists now

1 Like

I sympathise, but is this really the right territory for a bank?

2 Likes

It’s a good question. For monzo… the answer should be yes. Because they gave off this ethical bank vibe early on, but that’s all it is, a vibe, not a real commitment.

But honestly it probably doesn’t matter their motivations, this generally fits their ‘young’ brand. And Liam makes these points well. Monzo can back anything the want.

With the exception of terrorist organisations. Which is the only thing you need to be careful about with these donations pages flying up. If you can’t carefully vett them you don’t know what your money is going to. (And funny enough that’s a tactic these less than legitimate groups use to generate funding).

4 Likes

I’m always relieved when I hear someone else express disbelief at Monzo’s politicking.

Identity politics is a massive focus for their staff. But identity politics always creates divisions. Always creates both winners and losers.

It’s ugly to see a bank indulge in this stuff. Even if we understand their strategy (appeal to uni students etc)

Like Annette I wish Monzo staff would redirect their energy into their day job. They don’t work for a leftwing think tank backed by a trust fund. They have real investors who’ve put real money on the line to help their bank get off the ground.

8 Likes

I think it gives the bank a human feel, I don’t think that’s negative. Whether or not you agree with it’s stance, it still shows its about people.

It doesn’t make me feel it’s about people, to me it feels like a cynical attempt to hitch onto the publicity train for a ride

3 Likes

Surely this is a matter of freedom of speech? In principle, a person or an organisation should be free to articulate whatever point they like, so long as it’s lawful to do so?

If it’s OK for Tim Martin to actively use his business to campaign for anything from changes to beer duty to the B word, then surely it’s OK for a bank to humbly suggest that it’s not OK for American police officers to select people to be brutalised, purely on the basis of the melanin content of their skin?

1 Like

personally i think corporations should be banned from activism entirely. it’s just marketing. i can never feel it’s genuine when in the end, they want my money for something

also a company is technically just the thoughts of it’s large investors in the end, through their CEO, to get a return on the money invested.

as such, if someone were to propose slavery is back tomorrow and the idea was popular, i’d see lots of companies turn around and start supporting it wholeheartedly, to get the pound notes out of my wallet

2 Likes

Personally, I feel more comfortable with a company that puts its politics out in the open than ones that spend millions on lobbying firms and access to politicians in ‘smoke filled rooms’.

At least then a customer can make a conscious choice, based on whether the company aligns with their own viewpoint.

Outlaw lobbyists and opaquely-funded so-called think tanks and we can talk about denying corporate bodies the freedom to express a view, until then, I’d say it’s perfectly reasonable.

Which is why politically active rich blokes always seem attracted to running newspapers - Barclay Brothers, Murdoch, Bezos, Lebedevs, none are shy about using their businesses to further their political ideology.

1 Like

i don’t think they should be allowed to get involved with politics through backdoor means either. politicans only jobs should be to serve their constituents

1 Like

While I agree that that’s an attractive viewpoint, it would essentially mean that political parties would have to transition to being publicly funded (for which there would be little to no support) or would simply go bankrupt.

Labour without the financial backing of the unions or the Conservatives without the deep pockets of business would leave about threepence-ha’penny in the bank.

4 Likes

If you pitched that into the Monzo forum - just imagine the confused faces…! :flushed:

(None such on this forum, of course…:relieved:)

4 Likes

I guess they see their day job as attracting customers in an effort to make more money or the bank. They may then have come to the conclusion that showing support for those who are opposing what they see as repression might help in that job.

1 Like

Which people? I don’t feel that Monzo is trying to make us all feel included and valued. In fact, Monzo’s endorsement of the “why I’m ignoring white people” book is a little bit supremacist - and that’s not making me feel comforted at all.

No one has suggested that it is okay!

None of us think it’s okay for a police officer to treat a citizen like this.

The police officer in question will likely go down for murder. So American society and law is clear that he’s wrong.

Who is Monzo talking to here with its sanctimonious posts?

3 Likes

Isn’t that the point, it’s not just all about you.

You don’t like it.

I do.

Monzo does what it feels is right, and whatever it does won’t please everyone.

For me an organisation that shows it’s run by real people is great.

Edited to add : The endorsement on the book is too far, but I’m on about the general feel of them having feelings and caring.

2 Likes

Some of the stuff they linked to in their tweets are just outright blatantly racist. It’s bizarre. I’m not sure what loopy world we live in now where it’s now OK to support segregation and discrimination based on skin colour. We got rid of that hateful crap and now it’s being brought back under the guise of being ‘good’.

1 Like