Hastings Insurance Hard Searching

Don’t go to Hastings to get a quote as even if you don’t buy a policy they hard search your credit file

Are there any rules on this?

Are companies required to explicitly tell you in advance they will be doing a hard search rather than a soft search?

I know many/most do but I wonder if that is more of a courtesy or if they are actually required to disclose what type of search they are about to do?

There is nothing I checked or claimed that said they could do a hard search I’m going to dispute it with the credit agency as all I did was get a quote

I find this frustrating. Many places do a soft search when I’m shopping around for insurance, even though I always pay in full and never take a credit option.

I suspect that is to identify me for anti-fraud purposes.

But a hard search if you’re not wanting credit is not on at all.

6 Likes

Indeed, I’d place a complaint with them requesting for the end result for them to remove the hard search along with a small cash apology for not informing you of the possibility of a hard search.

Just seeing if I could see anything. The only site I can see kinda related is their smart miles where they make it clear just a soft search unless you pay in installments.

https://www.hastingsdirectsmartmiles.com/get-a-quote

Because they’re not allowed to do a hard search without informing you (due to some regulation) or just because you consider it bad etiquette?

I can not find what regulation it might be contrary to, but it’s certainly not the expected practice.

Many sources out there including this one:

It’s certainly bad practice and one that I would be challenging.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the first (however every company who has done a hard search on myself has informed me first) at worst it’s not allowed and at best it’s poor form.

Can we clarify, did you get a quote for paying this in instalments?

No to pay in full for the year

This is now being removed from my report apparently it was a mistake and is now showing in ClearScore as going to be removed

4 Likes

I’ve got the same problem. How did you get it resolved? Did you had to contact Hastings?

Yes just email them explaining that they have preformed a hard credit search without notifying you that they was going to