HMV on the brink

Last time I paid for Spotify was months ago. :pensive:

There’s no way to reset the recommendation algorithm which means after some time the homepage just becomes an echo chamber with the same stuff I already listen to regularly and nothing new.

I end up deleting the account (since they offer no way to reset it otherwise) and creating a new one which means I’m always on the free trial. :joy:

This is a good point, I seem to listen to the same stuff over and over again :joy:

Obligatory Spotify thread about to be made :wink:

(Liam) #24

Go for it!

(l8n.me) #25

Trouble is that if everyone does that there may not be any new music, the money just isn’t there for artists to make a career out of it. :cry:

(Liam) #26

Then, I suppose, the artists (or more realistically the labels, PRS/PPL/whoever) need to make sure the fees are appropriate and the distribution is fair.

I’d pay more than £9.99 if it supported new artists. In honesty, I’m not sure how much more though.

From what I know music sales are not how they make their money anyway. It’s gigs and tours.

The problem is I don’t buy music so it’s spotify or nothing.

One of the issues I see is that labels take a good chunk of the profits. It would be much better if artists bypass them and publish directly to the platforms (not sure why labels are necessary in 2018 anyway).

(Dan Mullen) #29

I used Spotify years ago but for the last several years I’ve been a Google Play Music subscriber and, more recently, YouTube Music/Premium.

(Liam) #30

I thought the same, but I think I’ve read something where @l8n.me has explained the economics of the music industry elsewhere. Was quite surprised about about how little is left after everyone has been paid.

This is the problem IMO. There are just too many useless people to pay. The artist should be the one getting most of the profits but it doesn’t look like that’s what’s happening.

(l8n.me) #32

Sadly this couldn’t be further from the truth in reality. I’ve never understood where this touring myth came from but it’s just not the reality. I know artists who are B listed on radio 1 who literally stack supermarket shelves overnight. You’d think someone getting significant airplay on the nations most important station for new music, selling out mid size venues and with decent streaming figures would be able to at the very least focus on performing, but they have a day job in an office, then go stack shelves at night. This is the reality for musicians in 2018.

As @anon48905947 has said, the issue is primarily that, as with most things in life the deck is stacked against those at the bottom, Universal made more money from music than ever last year, but it’s all through backhanders from the likes of Spotify which never trickles down to the artists themselves.

(Liam) #33

Takes quite a few people to help the artist put on an impressive show though.

The spice girls are doing a reunion tour and from what I know that’s it and that’s how they will make a million each or something like that.

Michael Jackson was going to do 50 tour dates to pay off his debts. Record sales are dying. I think 20 years ago you could make money from record sales but those days are long gone.

(Adrian) #35

This - I get why you need them for CDs but when you can just upload your music to whatever service you fancy directly what exactly do they offer?

(l8n.me) #36

I may have some involvement in this so I cannot say much :zipper_mouth_face: but although they are getting a decent figure it is primarily through what I actually do as my day job, or at least did until I semi retired to spend all day on fintech forums; brand partnerships. Someone like Rita Ora for example is in reality a complete fake in terms of job description; the money she makes is through brand partnerships, not music. She has to be known for something, or, well, you become a Kardashian, but the reality is that that purely gives her something to be known as, an anchor for brands to attach to, not where the money actually comes from. That is the only way to make decent money from music unless you’re an artist who had significant success before… 2005ish or are one of a few exceptions like Adele or Ed Sheeran, although both of them had initial success just before that cutoff. The trouble is that there are only so many brands and many many artists so the brand partnership rout only works for a few, those at the top and those with something unique who can find the brands.

I’m quite sad about this, as HMV have such an excellent and varied range in store and online. Amazon are no longer the cheap alternative they were years ago. Many years ago I could buy boxsets a good £20 cheaper than what they were in the supermarkets, now there’s no difference in price at all.

The likes of Amazon have killed the high street.

(Adrian) #38

I find it quite interesting, actually, that before Amazon it was the likes of HMV who were being accused of killing the high street. They would arrive, undercut the local competition, and then that competition which was often local independent shops would close down. Then you essentially ended up with identikit high streets in every town.

It’s just progress, I suppose, and there will always be something to upset the status quo - the only constant is change.

I wouldn’t say Amazon killed the high street.

The market has chosen. HMV could’ve very well kept up with the times but decided not to.

It’s a shame either way, as it means less choice for the consumer.