HMV on the brink

Not sure. The industry is simply becoming more efficient, but there’s nothing preventing an efficient competitor from appearing.

For example let’s take grocery stores vs Amazon Prime. A lot of stores do deliveries just as well, but the user experience is absolutely horrible, and this is why I don’t use them.

Offer me something as simple as Amazon Prime Now and I’ll happily use them instead. Prime Now is actually far from being the best in terms of UX, but it’s still ahead of anything else so I keep using them until something better comes up.

Let’s take Tesco as an example. I tried to add a featured product into my cart, and it drops me straight onto the login page before I even get a chance to see what my total would be (delivery fee, etc). In fact, we can go even further and ask why I need an account to begin with? Just take my email and card details, or use Apple Pay which would provide all contact information automatically.

I just saw an ad with Paloma Faith driving a skoda while singing :joy:

(Ashley Quint) #43

I wouldn’t say that the High Street is dying, although that can entirely depend on where you are in the country. Certainly rents are an issue (especially in our area - with new entrerents paying unrealistic prices pushing it up for everyone else), and of course that is linked to business rates.

Its worth remembering Amazing is rolling out its physical stores in the US - so even they must see some merit!

(l8n.me) #44

Just to be clear, I am not to blame for this. Victoria BeckhamxReebok, FentyxPuma and
‘ The Lady Gaga Bud Light dive bar tour’ may be my fault, Paloma’s Skoda is not… :joy:

(Ashley Quint) #45

HMV used to be really good at instores and meeting the artists/singers etc… That should have been at the heart of their relaunch as that is a selling difference over online…!

From the recent articles, looks like VB ‘fashion’ empire might also go in the same direction? Or banished to Peacocks. That’d wipe the smile… oh wait.

(sam) #47

Definitely true, they seemingly won’t be satisfied until they’ve swallowed everything else. They seem to be heading into service industries next. I wonder who will be left to purchase from them when nobody has any jobs left.

Universal Basic Income will be viable when no one has jobs left, I can’t wait until this day :slight_smile:

(sam) #49

Where will the money come from?

The idea is if companies are automated and their running costs are basically nil, we can raise the taxes on them without ruining their business, allowing us to distribute the taxes as income to the citizens of our country.

Skilled jobs would obviously still pay very well, and people would still be able to work unskilled jobs at small businesses who can’t afford to automate everything.

You just need to join the millions of other voluntarily jobless layabouts in the country and you have your wish! Money for doing nowt!

I prefer to work hard and get rewarded for said graft and don’t expect anything for nothing.

*not implying all are in the situation voluntarily.

(l8n.me) #52

Pretty sure that is me these days… :see_no_evil::joy:

But I’m confident that you’re not sponging from the government spending your ‘income’ on cider and scratch cards, so you can do what you like!

(l8n.me) #54

Not this week, if I’m lucky maybe next. Given I feel like I’ve paid more tax this year than the GDP of a small country it would be nice to get some back… :joy::joy::joy:

George is that you?

The difference between those you described in your post and many hereditary peers and other posh spongers is big, fat zero. The former got born into families with financial resources and social capital, the latter didn’t.

Shops have to adapt, if they don’t they won’t survive its really that simple. HMV offered nothing I needed, there was not one near me, so it was out of the way, it couldn’t offer fast or free delivery, so no point ordering for delivery. so unless I was visiting a town with one, it wouldn’t appeal to me.

We have an independent record shop, it adapted and changed, its got a book shop next door, its good a coffee shop, it has other things that encourage people. It’s the place everyone goes to buy local event tickets and so on. So there is nothing stopping shops from changing, if they have the willingness to try.

(l8n.me) #58

The sad thing is, pre-hilco it was actually moving in the right direction. They actually got in customer experience experts to turn the stores into more multi-function spaces which will entirely be the future, as well as the past (think Selfridges ‘circus of retail’ principles), sadly this only got trialed in a very limited way before the first admin and Hilco came in. But that will definitely be the way forward; whatever you sell your environment will need to be akin to Harrods; part temple to consumerism, part awe inspiring show, part private members club. Those who do that well today, even if it’s just in a small way, are the ones doing well. Those still sticking to the Walmart school of retail will have no future.

(Liam) #59

Over the next couple of weeks we’ll start to see just how bad this last couple of months have been for retailers:

The problem is, people take notice of the shops that don’t change, haven’t adapted, pointless figures.

You need to be taking notice of the shops and companies that have adapted and made changes, because they are the ones that really show what is happening in retail.