Monzo founder Tom Bloomfield leaves Monzo

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/20/enjoying-life-again/

3 Likes

Blimey … :hushed:

1 Like

I think a lot of us here saw it coming. Hes been a shadow in the company for a while, kicked out his position and given a title only position last year and nothing from him since.

Good luck to his future, is he the one who has the alpaca farm?

4 Likes

Candour, honesty, transparency, all good, though it seems to come and go conveniently.

Where’s the grit and staying power?

Just call it “decoupling” and then we’d know what we are dealing with!

2 Likes

Someone didnt read the article fully…

Blomfield also comes clean about his role as president, a title that was intended as a way to provide the time and space for him to get well and figure out if he would return longer-term to Monzo or depart entirely. Contrary to rumours, Blomfield says he wasn’t pushed out by investors. Instead, the Monzo board actually put pressure on him to remain as CEO longer than he wanted or perhaps should have (a version of events corroborated by my own sources).

3 Likes

I hope that doesn’t mean he’s going to set up a quackery website advocating people steam-clean various parts of their bodies.

2 Likes

Blomfield has always had a snake oil vibe for me - talking the talk, not doing the walk. Kudos for creating a brand. Now someone just needs to finish building the bank :joy:

4 Likes

Must admit, I’ve always found the “Tom”-related chat rather squirmy. He has clearly satisfied a need for a hero, if many of the supportive comments are any indication.

Anyway… moving on eh?

4 Likes

Must admit, I’ve always found the “Tom”-related chat rather pointless :laughing:

1 Like

Who? :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I’m afraid, ‘Tom’ like Trump, is just another has been and his fandom should perhaps move on.

And in fairness, I find the fawning over Anne equally as vomit inducing as that with our old mate ‘Tom’

4 Likes

There is an odd thing about the almost worship of political leaders, football managers, and seemingly tech company head-honchos.

They do seem to be held up as god-like figures by a sub-set of those who resonate with whatever it is that they are selling.

5 Likes

:point_up_2: Yep - that.

1 Like

Who’s Tom, wasn’t he that bloke off MySpace?

3 Likes

We’ll have to be careful here. I’m slightly surprised that some die hard Monzonite hasn’t chipped in and complained yet that we’re somehow being disrespectful.

I’m glad I don’t care :rofl:

1 Like

If you are in business, the objective is to make money.

• They have invested millions into their USA ventures which has not taken off.
  • UK operations continue to make a loss
  • The company value has been reduced by 40%

If you are an investor in the company, with what could be seen as no clear path to profitability, I think no tears will be shed by him leaving.

7 Likes