Netflix Subscription Using Foreign Account

With the coming Netflix price increase, does anyone use the little trick of subscribing to Netflix using a overseas account? Any problems to report back or any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Colombia pay COP 32900 which equates to around £8.90 so a saving of around £3.00 per month.

I think Turkey is often a good place to sign up from!

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of hassle to save £36 per year. If Netflix was £3.80 per month by paying that way I’d consider it

I pay for Hulu using my N26 debit card and a family members address in Texas. It seems (at least for now) Hulu don’t do address verification.

Have you tried using one of your “free foreign transaction” fintech cards with a Columbian address?

1 Like

Not if you’re a tight northerner!

4 Likes

You could get six months of Monzo Plus with that!

1 Like

And from one tight northerner to another - great advice! That’s a even bigger saving. Roughly £74 saving over a year.

1 Like

Which VPN do you use to access Hulu? I find they are constantly blocking new IP ranges.

A full year’s Monzo Plus with enough left over for two sausage rolls :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t use Netflix enough to justify it, but use it enough to want it. I should look at signing up from Turkey them it’s worth it.

2 Likes

I use https://www.smartdnsproxy.com. When I 1st set it up I used static DNS on my PS4 but now I just set the DNS on the home router and push all traffic though them. You can turn on different regions for different things. For example I can still watch BBC iPlayer and UK netflix but Hulu and CBS All Access look like their coming from the US.

I stopped fighting with Netflix when they baked 8.8.8.8 DNS into their PS4 app. I blocked Google DNS on the firewall for a while but having Hulu & CBS makes up for the missing content so I stopped doing that

1 Like

Do you just use the DNS or the VPN service too?

Just the DNS service. I rarely have time to watch Hulu outside of home

1 Like

Yep, Turkey is great.

1 Like

Aren’t you then limited to only watch whatever Netflix has licensed for viewing in Turkey?

I’m pretty sure with Netflix you are shown the content of whatever country Netflix thinks you are in, not where the subscription is.

You are limited if you get a music subscription, like Spotify, from Turkey etc. though.

2 Likes

@yams is exactly right. You sign up in a particular country and lock the price in in that currency. Viewing in your own country shows all content available in that country, regardless of which country you signed up from.

2 Likes

Cool, I didn’t know that.

Now, if only I could understand enough Turkish to get through the sign up…

1 Like

:joy: I can just ask my father

Getflix works well for me from here in Russia back to iPlayer, Netflix etc.

https://www.androidauthority.com/getflix-lifetime-subscription-987332/

PS The “sign up from another country” works with Deezer too. I currently pay 255 roubles (£3.25) per month for a family subscription, usual price £14.99 from the UK.

Also, Kobo has my usual Edinburgh address but with Jersey as the country. It passes the banks security checks and I pay no VAT on ebooks.

1 Like

Does anybody know if Spotify do any kind of regular location verification?
Where I am now, the subscription equates to £4.25/mo for an individual or £6.38 for a family.
I’m paying £9.99 per month and it’s £34.99 for a family membership.