New AppleCard

The laser etched Mastercard logo looks nice.

3 Likes

I appreciate that aesthetics are not terribly
Important but I can’t stand Starlings teal card. To me it feels cheap and looks it.

I do also realise it’s irrational to judge a bank on the design of their card. That said I really like the design and quality of the HSBC Advance card

I really like the simplicity of the apple card

3 Likes

Same. I’m slightly embarrassed pulling out to pay too. It’s never grown on me. It looks cheap and far too feminine.

2 Likes

To be fair, if I want to pull out the masculine card, I would just pull out my VM credit card:

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/news-centre/press-releases/2015/never-mind-the-bollocks-heres-the-new-virgin-money-credit-card.jsp

No embossed numbers either, just printed on the back like Starling. It does draw a few laughs when people actually bother to look at it.

2 Likes

apple

5 Likes

So it’s like a Tandem card?! :thinking:

It’s just a cashback credit card, its not that unique in the UK.

Most people have a credit card here and many of them have some cashback or rewards.

A better version of a Tandem card (if you have an Apple device).
But, this will never come to the UK like that though sadly…

1 Like

The notable differences are:

• Three tiers of cashback depending on how and where you spend - 1%, 2%, and 3%

• The cashback is credited to you daily. You can use it however and whenever you wish including toward payment of your credit card bill, or just let it accrue

• No fees whatsoever (from what I’ve seen is quite rare for the US market)

• Managing your account is all integrated within the iOS Wallet app, including payment and the spending analytics

But it is US only.

Really? I’m not familiar with the US market at all, so I’m really not qualified to talk much about it. But that was never the impression I had: I always felt that cashback or rewards cards are far more common in the US (where cashback/reward rates are also much higher - I mean look at US reporting on the Apple Card which say “2% cashback is OK but not great”. I’m like WTF?! I get a quarter of that …)

That discussion is a strange one, there are substantially more providers, so substantially more cards to compare. However if you take the bigger providers take Barclays for example one of the biggest card issuers in the US, many have rewards from the company concerned, but most don’t offer cashback.

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/#///

It offers 24 branded cards only 4 are cashback.

The Apple card is a cashback card, which isn’t the norm.

1 Like

Is it, in your opinion, the norm in the UK? Genuinely curious since, as I said, I didn’t think it was.

It’s becoming normal to get something. Go back 10 years a credit card very rarely gave you anything unless it was a branded card. Now most providers offer a cashback or rewards card.

From the “chatter” I’ve read online, and from talking to people at work, the whole “cashback” thing isn’t a big deal - It’s common place for those who want a cashback card to get one, and the 2% isn’t particularly amazing (it’s not bad, but not market leading).

People will focus on it in the UK because it’s a “wow” factor (not that it will ever reach the UK), as I’d hazard a guess that a lot of people won’t understand the difference in interchange rates between the US and UK (myself included may I add, but I know enough to understand the 2% in the UK won’t work).

The “excitement” seems to stem more around the Apple Pay, app, physical card etc.

I saw one comment which I think just about summed up the difference in expectation between the US and the UK…

“I really hope this is chip and pin and not signature priority”… :joy:

Such high standards they set themselves!

I also heard that the actual card wouldn’t be contactless - But haven’t explored that properly.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me: Contactless cards are very uncommon in the US. And since they want you to spend money through ApplePay (you get a higher rate than through the card) I think the card only makes sense as backup with merchants that don’t take contactless.

2 Likes

Sort of defeats the object if it was contactless.

They talk about removing the number and CVV for security reasons, wouldn’t be secure if you could use the card without any security like contactless.

1 Like

Apple were one of the first to dispense with floppy disk drives and then CD-ROM drives much to the disgust of the disgruntled IT community back then. These days you’ll be hard pressed to find a machine with removable media.

A couple of years ago they dispensed with the headphone jack on their phones, again to the disgust to rest of the mobile phone population. A few other notable phones are now starting to do the same.

This time they’ve launched a credit card which requires a PIN. No signature. No contactless. This time it will be the US retailers that will be up in arms as they’re dragged kicking and screaming, much preferring to stick with their magnetic stripe and signature strip.

Sometimes it needs a large forward thinking organisation to move things on.

2 Likes

Why is why I’m so glad Monzo took cheque imaging off the table!

[O :poop: I really need to get outside…]

1 Like

I always thought Apple were the first to dispose of the headphone jack, but apparently both Oppo and Motorola beat them to the punch on that.

Apple are rarely the first with anything. But they’re big. And when they do something (which usually takes the form of plagiarising something that’s gone before and then refining the experience) many take note.

3 Likes