No more debit card funding

I know that curve has taken steps in the past that were meant to make cash withdrawals from credit cards difficult due to them now passing on the correct MCC.

Unless I’m mistaken?

Here are the details for a Settle Up transaction with Curve plus MBNA as the underlying card

Clearly shows as a purchase and has been charged as such

Cash withdrawals are much more tricky. Simply topping up a current account most of the time won’t attract fees, with a few exceptions like Natwest and Tesco

1 Like

That’s interesting, thanks a lot!

I’ll give it a try on a couple of cards and let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Don’t suppose you have a NewDay Ltd card laying around?

I have an Amazon card, which I think is offered by New Day.

Yep it is :slight_smile:

This is not Starling I signed up for.
Starling everyday is lees of fintech and more of traditional, we now need a proper fintech.
When was last time ( or ever) they introduced something ground braking or innovative? exactly
Apple pay top up was my most used feature now is just as any other ugly old bank nothing to differentiate from.
Traditional banks caught up and past them already.
example my halifax etc offer everything starling does and more, like all banks in one app, better mortgage for costumers rates and no fees.
Starling is already ancient, been using it since their inception but not anymore.

April.

Who’d you move to?

4 Likes

I’m always fascinated when someone is seemingly in such a hurry to get their message across that they register with the minimum effort, don’t trouble to establish any sort of screen identity, then rattle off a stream of barely coherent remarks - almost invariably, negative.

Just saying…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Come, now. Let’s not go all ‘other place’. One opinion is as good as another.

What features would @shpet be looking for from a ‘proper fintech’? How can Starling improve their offer for your needs?

2 Likes

DD and SO from within spaces would save me having a separate bank account but I would probably not use it as I like the redundancy.

To be honest my Starling/Yorkshire/Marcus set up works perfectly for me.

It’s entirely your prerogative to have a rant, but I’m wondering? if you’re that unhappy with Starling unhappy enough to rant about how ‘ancient’ they have become, have you actually bothered dumping the account? or have you just decided to come onto the forum, have a rant and then never appear again?

Seriously, if Starling Bank isn’t doing it for you anymore, then just find another account. I’m a customer of Starling Bank and the services they offer me personally, are absolutely better than some of my legacy High Street accounts. I’m not a Starling fawning fan boy by the way!

Perhaps Monzo might be better for you? or do you already have a Monzo account?

@shpet - if this isn’t the case, you have my sincere apologies :slight_smile:

As above, just move banks. I so wanted Starling to be my bank, but ultimately it wasn’t right for me.

With my Starling gambling controls switched to block, my virtual tenner says we’ll never see them again.

I have to admit, there’s only two banks I would never be a customer of ever again, both Spanish, TSB and Santander. I did actually make rather a lot of money in interest from Santander from a fixed 1 year locked savings account back in 2009/10, but that was all they were any good for.

TSB’s IT meltdown was just too much for me and no amount of in credit interest would ever get me back to having an account with them.

I’m too lazy to leave Nationwide

Lloyds is proving rather convenient from a credit card perspective

RBS only in it for the free money, will ditch and switch when they pay up the final 50 quid in a couple of months time.

Starling, honestly, haven’t got anything at all to moan about. I don’t need any loans from them, I don’t need an overdraft, I don’t use their Goals/Pots whatever you call them. I do find their App very good though and I’m more than happy to remain a customer.

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only one who has a spare “switching account”. It’s also with RBS at the moment for the switching reward :slight_smile:

I’ve had a ‘spare’ switching account for a few years now. I realise there are some out there who think it’s somewhat ‘unethical’ to have an account purely for a switching bonus, but I’ve no shame on this whatsoever. Free money is free money and the taste is even sweeter when banks are dumb enough to give away free money just for setting up a new account. I’ve made probably about £600 out of it. Sadly, those days have pretty much come to an end.

2 Likes

You’d have loved the good old days of easy stoozing, borrow via card from a bank on 0%, lets say barclays, and deposit the free money with a bank and earn interest… i.e. Barclays!

I used to giggle that they were paying me interest on their own money!

I’ve not actually ever borrowed money via a card and earned interest that way. My main thing, is interest free credit cards. I’ve not paid a penny in interest on credit card borrowing for the best part of 25 years I think. I’ve bought thousands of pounds worth of goods and holidays on interest free cards. Paying interest on what you’ve bought on a credit card is just nuts in my book. I guess though there’s a very large sector of the credit card borrowing consumer who do exactly that. If they keep my borrowing free whilst they’re paying the card providers, then I won’t complain.