Primary Bank Account

I came across a post on LinkedIn about primary bank account (where salary is paid).

It references an internal survey conducted by CFTE (Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship), conducted by looking at sort codes of employee bank accounts.

I’ve not personally come across CFTE previously, but they’re apparently “…a global education platform for finance professionals and technologists to gain the right skills to thrive in the world of Finance 2.0.”

So I thought this was interesting, in that this survey was conducted on “financial experts”, and who they use to bank with.

Some interesting results, but I’m curious - who do you use for your primary account (defined as, the one your salary is paid into)?

• Barclays
  • Revolut
  • Monzo
  • HSBC
  • Monese
  • Santander
  • First Direct
  • NatWest
  • Nationwide
  • Starling
  • Lloyds
  • TSB
  • Halifax
  • Other

0 voters

I’m very surprised at the percentage of people having their salary paid into Revolut. Wasn’t expecting that at all. Barclays being on top isn’t too surprising. The disparity between Monzo and Starling is quite interesting too. I thought it would have been much closer between them. Monzo May have more users, but I got the impression that people felt more comfortable switching their salary to Starling rather than Monzo. To see Monzo and Revolut beat a bunch of the traditional banks is a pleasant surprise too.

For me personally, my salary is and has been paid into Barclays for many years, but I wouldn’t consider it my primary account over the past few years. I have standing orders set up to transfer all my income from Barclays directly to whichever account I’m using primarily right now, which is currently Monzo after around a 3 month stint with Revolut. I only do it this way to avoid having to update my bank details with various sources every couple of months.

3 Likes

Bit of a leap, but without knowing the size of the survey, the proportion of non-uk banks might suggest an international population - particularly with Monese & Revolut bring sizeable players.

3 Likes

Mind you, the more you look, the more it suggests a young, fin tech-savvy audience. That could explain the Monzo/Starling dynamic and the aforementioned international banking offerings.

1 Like

I wonder what “other” is :thinking:

Oh I see, I was wondering why the pie chart was clearly wrong. It’s only what this specific companies employees use. So its completely thrown off by the bias of the type of company it is, where it’s located and who they hire.

Me looking at it wondering how those whacky pie slices make any sense whatsoever :smile:

2 Likes

I’m similar. I have my salary paid into an incumbent bank (and selected it in the poll) but then almost all of it gets transferred elsewhere by standing order within a couple of days. All I leave behind is a small amount to fund a monthly saver account. Most of my income ultimately goes to Monzo, which is what I would consider my primary account.

Main reason I continue to have my salary paid to the incumbent (instead of direct to Monzo) is its easier this way to satisfy the minimum monthly pay in requirement required by the incumbent for access to the regular saver.

3 Likes

I had to look this up in the article, but now I’ve read it, I’m disappointed I did :frowning:

Out of the 60 UK employees we have,13 banks were used. Indeed, the majority of CFTE’s UK employees still opt for traditional incumbents (55%), such as Barclays, HSBC, NatWest, Nationwide, Lloyds, Santander, First Direct, TSB and Halifax. However, it is also noteworthy that the incumbent banks only won by a minimal margin of 10%.

Not a very big sample at all.

5 Likes

A survey of starling bank staff found that 92% use Starling Bank as their main account. :joy::joy:
These ‘surveys’ are so silly

5 Likes