Quirks of the English language - as seen by non-native speakers

Look at this example.

In English I say: “I have been to home today”

In Italian I can say:
“Io sono statA a casa oggi” (A female speaks)
or
“Io sono statO a casa oggi” (A male speaks)

So ipotize to read a book that starts with:
“I have been to home today my friends …”

You can not know if a male ora a female is speaking.

But if I read the same statement in an Italian book I will read:

“Io sono stata a casa oggi.” So I immediately know that a female is speaking.

or in the other case:
“Io sono stato a casa oggi…” (I know that a male is speaking)

do you know that? :face_with_thermometer:

I don’t think you can say that in English :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The English man would say, “I’ve been home today”
The English woman would say, “I’ve been home alone all day, because my man doesn’t take me anywhere anymore, my mum told me not to marry him.”
Easy to tell who’s speaking

4 Likes

Ok, yes sorry :cold_face:

but with “I’ve been home today” you are not able to know if the person who’s speaking is a male o female.

The English woman would say, “I’ve been home alone all day, >because my man doesn’t take me anywhere anymore, my >mum told me not to marry him.”

hahaha, no no… too easy saying that.
If a male or a female with the voice of a male phones you and say “I’ve been home today and killed your cat”
you can’t report the police if a woman or a male spoke

:slight_smile:

Yes you would - you’d have the context of whoever is speaking :slight_smile: “I” used means you know who is speaking beforehand, otherwise a name would be used

The English language doesn’t have gendered wording like that. If you were writing it and wanted to express more about the person you might say something like like,

I’ve been home today she said.
She’d been home today.
Elizabeth was annoyed ‘I’d been home today’ she said. ‘They demolished my house. No more going home for me I guess’. She sat there miserable, going back to reading her work emails.

1 Like

Blonde
Blond

You can say it but it’s not something normally said as it’s not right.

What if the person speaking identifies in a non-binary way? :thinking:

1 Like

Hopefully the answer is “tough” :slight_smile:

That’s not particularly understanding nor inclusive. You have a problem recognising diversity?

1 Like

I don’t believe lying to people is a good route to recovery of someone suffering.

Those aren’t gendered words

Yes they are. If you are male you are a blond. If you are female you are blonde.

Then you pick one that fits, those languages are gendered masculine or feminine.

No you don’t. Blond and blonde are exactly the same. Adding an e doesn’t make one feminine or masculine.

Your thinking of french

Incorrect, we derived it from French. Blond is masculine and blonde is feminine.

They are one of the last existing gendered words in the English language :slight_smile:

I don’t understand your answer. It makes no sense.

1 Like

You are what you are - even if you believe you aren’t.

Saying you are what you aren’t and lying to you isn’t fair when you’re suffering a mental illness. I think it’s about as bad as telling a schizophrenic that the voice is real.

1 Like

1 Like