Replacement phone

(sam) #1

I’m hoping to replace my phone tomorrow, as this one is on its last legs. I’m probably going to get a OnePlus 6t. Are there any issues with them and starling? Has anyone got one?

(Dan Mullen) #2

Haven’t got one but it’s a damn fine phone - lots of bang for your buck!

(sam) #3

That’s what I thought. I’m currently on a pixel but will never buy another one as they have been absolutely useless with a warranty issue on my wife’s phone. They just refuse to respond now. Quite ridiculous

(Dan Mullen) #4

That’s surprising, they’ve always been fantastic with aftercare in my own experience. What’s up with your wife’s phone?

Yeah, they’ve been terrible with me too:

Had an issue with my WiFi, but because my screen had a hairline scratch that apparently invalidated the warranty…

(sam) #6

2 issues mainly

1. It randomly makes the sound as.if the phone has been unplugged, even on silent, this means she has to turn it off completely at work. Still the same after factory reset.
  2. Battery problems. My phone has this exact ißue.as well. The battery is lasting only about 2-3 hours of use for me. Or will randomly switch off at 60% then when you switch it back on it says 0. Then plug it in and after 5 minutes it says full.
  3. Also both have issues of WiFi being connected but not working.

Basically anything trickier than a factory reset and Google weren’t interested. So I’ve already warned 2 or 3 people in the family that were going to get pixel 3. Although there are better options for the price anyway.

(sam) #7

That’s why I haven’t bothers with mine. I’ve cracked it so they won’t cover the battery issue.

Annoying I paid more as they were really pushing the quality of.support at the time and I thought it was worth it. Wish I hadn’t bothered. I almost decided to get an iPhone this time until I played with someone’s new one and remembered why I hated it so much

2 Likes
(Dan Mullen) #8

I have a Nationwide FlexPlus account. For £13 a month it covers all the mobile phones in the household, as well as the travel insurance and breakdown cover you get. Relied on the mobile cover several times, great service. Had my daughter’s iPhone(s) fixed 3 or 4 times and my wife’s phone fixed twice. Can’t recommend it enough.

1 Like

I do too. But it still annoys me that Google tries to weasel out of their obligations…

1 Like
(sam) #10

I have the £9.95 version from HSBC, it would cover the cracked screen but not the battery, plus I can’t be without a phone for the week that it’s sent away for.
I’ll probably get it repaired once the new one comes and sell it to Mazuma

(sam) #11

If anyone thinking of getting a one plus then do it, such a great phone

2 Likes

Their support is garbage and the updates can be trash, but it’s an alright phone

(sam) #13

So it’s alright for a piece of trash. :thinking:
What do you use out of interest?

(sam) #14

I’m really impressed so far. I’m using it all day and going to bed with at least 50% charge. Compared to my pixel, that was dying by 11am

OnePlus 5T
I’ll be switching to iPhone in September :wink:

(sam) #16

iPhone was my other option. I had a play with one and remembered why I hated it so much. They feel about 4-5 years behind

2 Likes

They feel pretty nice to me, especially now they have grouped notifications.

(Liam) #18

I’ve been holding off on getting a new phone for quite a while, keeping my old Google/LG Nexus 5X going until something came onto the marked that interested me.

I’d never be prepared to pay the best part of a grand for a iPhone or a Pixel and the best of the mid-range phones always made me feel like I was going to be punished for not being willing to pay that much.

Something about the OnePlus range always put me off, Xiaomis almost had it, but not quite, the Nokias are a bit ‘meh’.

I always wished the Google hadn’t retired the Nexus range, so I was pretty please when they launched this…

2 Likes
(Neil) #19

I hate you do much right now. Okay, I don’t.

But I am envious. My Nexus 5X was great until it bricked just out of warranty (a whole tranche of them did and a solution was never, to my knowledge, found).

I’m quite fond of my Motorola replacement (G5 plus). Almost stock Android, good performance and still working fine even though s couple of years old.

(Liam) #20

My 5X has undoubtedly been the best phone I have owned to date. It’s starting to slow down in the last couple of months and the storage is becoming an issue - the screens also smashed up a bit… but it’s hairline cracks and hasn’t really bothered me.

I had one that bricked itself too, the warranty was a bit of a grey area as I bought it from a guy on eBay who claimed it was ‘brand new unboxed’ (for a bargain £179!). Managed to persuade LG to swap out the logic board as a warranty repair. On another day they’d probably have told me to take a hike.

The Nexus range should never have been retired. It was a great way of setting a benchmark for what the Android experience should be.

The high-end devices didn’t really need the kick-up-the-arse and the decision to form an exclusive partnership with Verizon in the States really hampered sales.

1 Like