Santander no longer charging foreign ATM withdrawals & currency fees?

I saw this today in the updated T&C’s for my Santander bank account. I may be reading this wrongly but it looks as if foreign ATM withdrawals will now be fee-free and Eurozone SEPA transfers will now be free.

Changes to foreign transaction fees – effective by 15 December

We’ll no longer be charging a fee of £1.25 for each foreign currency purchase made when using your debit card abroad. In addition. We’re also removing the fee for Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15 per transaction, as well as the fee for cash withdrawals abroad, which is currently 1.50% on each transaction.

Feel free to correct my assumptions :slight_smile:

This is really interesting. Where did you find this information?

And what account?

Santander Everyday current account. I saw it on my bank statement this morning.

Also here:

https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/current-accounts/changes-to-your-current-account

Wow, they thought is was reasonable to charge a blanket £15 for transfers to non-UK accounts?

1 Like

Do they still charge the non sterling transaction fee though?

We’ll no longer be charging a fee of £1.25 for each foreign currency purchase made when using your debit card abroad. In addition. We’re also removing the fee for Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15 per transaction, as well as the fee for cash withdrawals abroad, which is currently 1.50% on each transaction.

I think that’s no.

That’s withdrawing cash not spending. Wasnt there a standard charge and a non sterling transaction charge before? No reference to the non sterling charge

As far as I can see non-sterling non-cash transactions still attract a fee.

I was just clarifying what they was removing, so they have removed thee standard fee not the actual conversion charge. They omitted that from the change announcement.

Good for Santander customers. Slowly moving in to 2019, where modern banks don’t charge foreign withdrawal/transaction fees.

But even if Barclays does the same thing, I still wouldn’t go back to Barclays as my main bank account.

I’d love for Barclays to scrap fees for foreign purchases and interchange fees. I find it one of very few things I dislike about them.

Otherwise they’ve been pretty good.

1 Like