Starling Kite

I have a ten-year-old and I think I’m supposed to be the target audience, but with no app for the child what’s the point?

8 Likes

Even the TSB savings account that some friends of my mother set up for me after I was born was in my own name. What use is Kite if it’s just a little corner tucked away in your mum or dad’s account - and presumably only administrable by one of them? (just noticed that one’s not right.)

I was even signing my own name on deposits by the time I hit high school. There’s no way this ‘innovation’ brings us any further forward.

Objectively, this is a terrible product for 13-16 year-olds. Even for those younger, this is pretty bad.

5 Likes

Digital pocket money for my child?
Pocket money card

1 Like

Yup agreed, I have three kids aged 14, 13 and 10 and no way would I want to pay £6 a month for what this would give us. I was really hoping for everything people in this thread had asked/hoped for but I’ll just stick with my current system of keeping their money in Spaces in my Starling account and, for the older two, transferring it to their Santander 1-2-3 Mini accounts when they need to spend anything.

4 Likes

This is a real shame, I was hoping for this kind of thing.

None of these ‘accounts’ are perfect, I suppose, but Starling Kite looks like a desire to re-use code that’s already been written so they can launch a new (and chargeable) feature with minimum effort or lead-in time. It’s a poor effort (but at least they’ve given kids a distinct card design!)

I don’t currently have children but if I did, then I think this would be how I’d play it.

If I had one kid and they were 7+ I’d set them up withRevolut. They’d get an app to play with and learn ‘banking’, and I’d get some controls and to monitor their spending. I shouldn’t imagine I would normally be putting £40 per month in pocket money in there so it would be free (I suppose birthdays/Christmas money would cause problems - though on the other hand I should probably be encouraging them to put that into a savings account).

If I had two children, I would probably be drinking much more than I do at present, and might go with Rooster. It’s £24.99/yr for the first child (vs £24 for Starling’s effort) and then £19.99 for each after that. Perental controls for me and the kid gets tools to play with that will teach them about money and saving for ‘stuff’. I might stick with Revolut though…

Three or more and I would probably take up fishing or long walks in the countryside or even just sitting in the garden shed for hours on end… but I’d probably be back with Revolut and (as much as I disslike packaged accounts), I’d probably go with the premium or metal package just to feel like I was getting something out of the deal too.

Of course, If my kids seemed responsible enough to manage their own money, albeit with some encouragement and parental menorship - I might just go down the traditional account route from 11 with natwest or similar. They get an actual account, online banking and a card… and actual interest on their money! I wouldn’t get toolkit to guide them, but, I suppose, it is their money.

Worked for me.

9 Likes

Dad to a 10 & 7 year old.
10 year old has Revoult & 7 year old just asks me to pay!

I’d like a child’s app as minimum before joining up.

7 Likes

7 year old is a king or queen

About as unimaginative as it comes and borderline pathetic. Remember the gambling block that could just be switched on and off with no friction whatsoever? This Kite account is second only to that innovation.

4 Likes

This craze for the kids accounts may also well be -other than code recycling as someone else well stated above- that these neobanks want to start to collect data and build loyalty with these kids and grab them when getting into adults.

2 Likes

All the more reason to give them their own account numbers and treat them as though they’re not just an afterthought (or a mere opportunity to make a few more quid out of mummy and daddy).

Also, if this is supposed to help with financial education, isn’t this the part where you introduce them to the concept of saving - rewarded with interest - as well as the spending card? Starling seem to be pushing the wrong aspects of banking - prioritising the ease of card payment over the benefits of saving.

6 Likes

They’re working on a kids app, Apple/Google Pay are currently not planned but they added it to the feedback pile

5 Likes

So they released a half baked product then?

I agree with this absolutely (and the rest of your post).

At the moment, traditional banks are a better bet for children who seem at all responsible.

Nationwide FlexOne and Santander 123 Mini are probably the best two accounts, I would pick one of those (or even both!)

Plus, as has been said already, it worked for me - now I’m so interested in banking I’m posting here!

2 Likes

How Monzo of them.

Given their justification, it’s an easy half baked effort to forgive. They wanted something quickly now schools are open.

I think they could have been clearer on this and labelled the product as a preview, early access, or a beta.

Yes, they should have done, and it shouldn’t (yet) be chargeable as the children don’t have an app so it’s not in a fit state to charge for.

3 Likes

I’m quite surprised at the overwhelmingly negative feedback on this product. Sure, there’s room for improvement but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as people are making out.

Kids 11+ are probably better off with a Nationwide FlexOne account, as it comes with a Visa debit card and full app access. For younger kids, this is a way of allowing them to get used to using their own bank card with full parental control and visibility. It’s a purely optional feature and at £2/month it’s competitively priced compared to the likes of GoHenry.

Genuine question - can an under 11 open a bank account anywhere in their name rather than their parents’? If they can, do they get access to mobile or Internet banking? I’m sure I had to have an account for my daughter in my name until she turned 11, though that was several years ago and may not be the case now.

2 Likes

I agree. Let it settle and judge it then.

3 Likes

Probably because it’s the wrong demographics.

People who actually have children (but don’t want to use Revolut) would find this a pretty good solution.

Savings, yes…

(natwest)

…but in honesty, as far as current accounts go, the fintechs are inserting themselves into an unserved gap in the market - and good on them for that. Especially Starling, who, from what I can tell are the only actual bank who are bothering.

My point is that this solution - as of now - is inferior to virtually all of their competition.

It’s expensive, it’s restrictive, it has virtually no educational value in its current form. If this had been released in its current form and with its current pricing by Monzo, this thread would already be a couple of hundred posts long, many of which would be mocking gifs.

I do not like Revolut as a company… but if you are going to launch a product in direct competition with their offering, at least try to compete!

So if you’re not of the target demographic you not able/capable/allowed (delete as appropriate) to look at the facts, the competition and try to form an objective opinion?

If I had a child who was in the age range for this offering (and I could not bring myself to introduce them to Revolut), it’s still undeniable that Starling’s solution would be inferior to that of Rooster - which would cost me only 99p extra for the year. If I had two kids or more I’d be saving a fiver/yr per child.

7 Likes