The cashless future

I have now found somewhere to cut my hair that takes cards! This was the only reason I needed cash. Not the greatest hair cut but I’m willing to make the sacrifice :joy:

Who else has been able to stop using cash? Will it eventually die? Is this actually a good thing?

I do feel a little bit bad as they were using one of those paypal card readers so I know they will have to pay fees.

I don’t carry it.

I’ve been caught out once or twice - The worst place was a volcano… (true story).

Yes - Although probably not in the near future (my guess… 20/30 years from now).

Yes. A very good thing.

That’s interesting, I thought I was the only one with those kind of views and you all loved cash and cheques :joy:

(Sam Nalty) #4

Ingenico is showing off a technology at MWC that allows you to take contactless payments from an NFC equipped Android phone without the need of any additional reader. I’m fairly sure the PCI have added this, or are planning to add this, to the specification. It’s a small step but I think it’s the sort of thing that could accelerate the obsolecence of cash.

I too don’t use cash for anything. London taxis were the last usage, but they’re now all accepting cards.

OK, here’s a better question for people.

In what scenario is cash still king?

Some examples from me…

• Dodgy tradesmen who offer a cash discount (applies to any service that offer the “cash discount”).

That is it - That’s all I have…

• Pocket money for my 5 year old. He’s dying to get a card like daddy, but now way he’s gonna get one until his math has improved (and his general understanding of money :laughing: )
  • Anonymous gifts (nothing dodgy, just wishing to stay anonymous)

I live in a town, everywhere takes cards, however we are surrounded by villages, I often go and visit friends, many of the shops and pubs don’t accept cards, or only over a certain amount, so out of habit I tend to carry money with me, but I only use it when I need to, which isn’t that often.

(sam) #9

Air machine at the petrol station

• Minicab drivers (well, taxis generally in smaller towns)
  • Market stalls
  • Fairs and school events
  • Occasionally, on bitter nights, coins for rough sleepers
  • Businesses with “card payments over XX” only
  • Pocket money (and tooth fairy money)
  • The excellent local takeaway that hasn’t had a working card reader since they changed owners

I don’t use cash much but can’t do without it. It might be feasible in major cities, but not everywhere. And the financial inclusion aspects of going cashless concern me too.

I don’t carry cash in the UK any more, except for once a week to buy a copy of the Big Issue. The big issue are in the process of rolling out iZettle readers for their sellers though, so soon I won’t even need that.

(Dan Mullen) #12

I’ve been using the same barber for a couple of years now. Not only does he take cards but you can book and pay online! It’s the future :joy:

For me, I rarely carry cash but find I sometimes get caught out with taxis, parking and charity collections. Also, they don’t take cards at the concourse bars and food stalls at the match (Stadium of Light).

You can’t expect a sub standard stadium to take card though - Let’s be realistic.

It’s not like a St James Park or anything…:joy:

I have no feeling towards either!

(Dan Mullen) #14

You’re dead to me @Nick :no_mouth:

(Adrian) #15

Where I live now there aren’t many places that don’t take card - I think my last holdout was the barbers but they now accept card. I rarely need to carry any cash day-to-day. The buses (though I don’t tend to use them) are going to begin accepting card on the 3rd March.

Back at my dads it’s another story - none of the local takeaways take card, barbers don’t, most of the local independent shops don’t.

Interestingly I will always take cash on a night out - even though most of the places I go do take card now it just doesn’t feel intuitive to pay with card at the bar.

I saw a charity collecting in the local Tesco recently - bucket in one hand, card reader in the other. They’re catching up!

But for me, cash is only used for haircut, takeaway and the sandwich van at work. Apart from that, I’m pretty much card all the way.

For me cash is just for driving lessons (they still charge a “convenience fee” for paying by card. If anyone wants to report them to whatever body regulates this, hmu) and haircuts. Everything else is card, although some places have a minimum (mainly takeaways)

I think in the next 2-3 years here will be entirely card only! It’ll be bliss :sweat_smile:

It would be interesting to see how drug dealing would be impacted :thinking::joy:

“Asking for a friend”? :joy::joy:

I’m a good boy so I do not do that kind of thing thank you very much! :joy:

Found this on the Guardian about it:

Drug dealer

People always go on about how the cashless society will spell the end of drug dealing but although I started selling for cash on the street, my trade has been entirely online for the last couple of years at least. There are different ways customers can pay for drugs on the darknet. They can use Bitcoins, localbitcoins, virtual private networks or [an operating system called] Tails. Buying on the darknet is more risky for dealers than customers.

Compared to selling on the street, the darknet is easier and safer for me – and also more profitable because I sell in bulk rather than dealing with individual pills and small bags of weed. And because I’m selling in bulk, my prices are lower than when I dealt on the street, so it’s a win-win.

I’ve heard some people say the darknet is the next generation of drug dealing. But from where I’m looking, it’s this generation’s way of buying drugs. Cash never comes anywhere near buyer or seller, so all the government’s promises that the cashless society would outlaw drug dealing are a lie.

So bitcoins and going cashless have helped them!