The Monzo Forum thread

(Omar Rana) #760

just got this to the same email address they have always emailed me at…

Hi Omar Will taking over here.
So sorry for all the inconvenience so far

Sure thing, we can certainly provide you with all the data we hold on you.

Could I take either the account number, email address or phone number on your Monzo account. The one which you needed to repay £1.09 too.

Once I find your original account I can log the data request and get that sorted for you

Warmest, Will

(l8n.me) #761

He should probably take his jumper off then.

(Liam) split this topic #762

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Monzo protest websites

(sam) #763

Monzos reply to my question regarding my personal data from forum communications being missing from my gdpr request.

"We also do not use personally identifiable information in our internal communications, so at this point we have no more personal data to share with you. "

How on earth did they connect my first and second forum account without any of my data?
How do they provide customer service without communicating any data?

(Dan Mullen) #764

I guess they mean they don’t include PII in internal comms such as emails.

(What the Fork Dude?) #765

It may be possible. I’m currently building a system for a company that will see customer service staff have very little access to PII.

Additionally I’ve made an SAR recently and internal communications don’t necessarily have to be disclosed, even if they contain PII.

An example would be

There are some documents that you may legitimately exclude.
Exemptions apply in certain circumstances in relation to the nature of the personal data, or where the disclosure may cause prejudice to a part or function of your organisation.
There must be a “substantial chance” of prejudice, not a “mere risk”.

(sam) #766

Poor guy

I’ve come to the conclusion that if you don’t like Monzo, don’t have an account with them, and don’t go onto their forum.

I’ve realised myself that I think this thread should be closed and deleted @Liam

If we all want this board to succeed, it has a real danger of becoming a Monzo hate board, which is really what it shouldn’t be about.

We need to be inclusive of everybody from all fintechs, and each and every one of us are guilty of it. None of us are innocent and are all guility of it, but I’d like this board to be more about celebrating the positives of each fintech, discussing the latest features. Certainly not just to be a b**ching session.

Just mute the thread and then it won’t bother you

(Liam) #769

I’ve explained this communities stance on freedom of expression multiple times.

I think some of the attitude towards shown towards Monzo in some quarters lacks objectivity at best and at worst it borderline pathological.

But people are entitled to their view and I’m not going to trample on people whose views I don’t agree with.

This forum is more established now than in the past. It’s no longer an ex-Starling forum and it’s more than two threads with some bitter posts about Monzo.

The trick to not having threads that turn into bitching sessions is everybody reminding themselves not to bitch.

(Dave) #770

And also to stay on topic (I’m not saying I am perfect at staying on topic).

(Liam) #771

I’ll second that.
Administration on here can be like herding cats sometime. :scream_cat:*

*Wouldn’t normally feel the need to emoji… But it is a Monzo thread.

As a relatively new user to this and several other fin tech forums, I’m glad the forum is doing well - it’s good to have one which is not provider controlled.

One suggestion though - I have found some recent threads where have you (I think!) have made comments that I found slightly jarring with direct comparisons to other forums which I didn’t think were really necessary such as:

And thought it kinda lowered the tone slightly. I’m not aware of the history of this forum or its interactions with others and wasn’t going to say anything but given your previous post I hope you will take this constructively.

Totally agree and can see your point of view. Apologies if it didn’t come across like that.

It’s why I’ve deleted/edited some of my more critical posts. I just don’t want it put off new potential users.

I just think it’d be nice for everybody from now on, to talk about the positives of each fintech, and not use it as a venting chamber, as I think that’s what will be key if we really want this place to grow.

(Liam) #774

Understood, point taken. It was meant maybe partly in jest to diffuse the situation, but I can see why it would be less than helpful.

It’s fair to say though that the other place has got it’s self a bit of a reputation. Be that rightly or wrongly. But I did not need to go there.

I do accept that Monzo provides a much different outlook than the legacy banks and any competition that gets people out of the legacy rut is not a bad thing really.

Also, I do think both Monzo and Starling will become profitable within the next few years.

(Chris Beach) #777

One of the reasons I value fintechtalk is that it’s inclusive of people that Monzo have excluded from their forum community.

I don’t like the suggestion that we should be prevented from criticising Monzo, or how they run their “community forum”.

There needs to be a forum where people can come, safe in the knowledge they can express themselves freely. This is that place. Please don’t change.

Camy_93 gone then?

He’s being upgraded to Camy_94 :joy:

(Joke, no idea where he’s gone).

(Liam) #780

He asked to have his account made anonymous earlier today. He said to say he has some other stuff on right now, including his uni work and thought it was best to take a break from internet forums.

Personally don’t get the drastic need to anon the account… But that’s his choice, and I suppose it removes temptation when he needs to focus on his work.

Hope he’ll be back at some point when it’s best for him.