Third of complaints upheld by regulator

Spotted this gem in another article about how Revolut are botching AML checks and the like.

https://www.ft.com/content/8cf142df-d42d-4cd5-b63c-2247feb68793

Thanks for reminding me I have a complaint to take to the FoS with Revolut

Never would think they would misleadingly word an offer and then refuse to make it right

Mindful that you’ve had occasion to make complaints more, perhaps, than the average, how have the responses panned out for you?

In relation to what?

Generally?

Perhaps you could set up a wiki/post outlining your experiences with each of the different organisations whom you’ve complained against.

Since you’re expert in this area, it would be good for others to be able to learn from your experiences.

2 Likes

Generally:

• NewDay Ltd suck major arse. their processes are ancient and you have to complain to get trivial queries answered
  • Starling is good and recognise when something is their fault or not
  • Revolut would sooner admit to sodomising dead cattle than anything that would cost them money to fix
  • Lloyd’s apologies profusely and cash hits your account before they tell you they’re sorry for hard searching your credit report 5x

Thanks. Tell us more. What things have gone wrong, how long to sort out and what was outcome?

• NewDay: merchant misled me on item details and despite calling NewDay to tell them that I’d given them all information, they required me to send it in writing. I sent it before the cutoff date but it arrived afterwards, as a result they refused to look into it. However, they told me they were looking into it. They also charged me fees for a crypto purchase.

• Starling: their many outages left me not being able to rely on my card if I did need it. They admitted their fault and paid compensation, which they probably didn’t need to do, as I didn’t actually encounter any issues due to it. I just thought the more official complaints filed the more likely they’d be to fix their issues (I think @Liam voiced similar opinions)

• Revolut: routinely receive merchant updates and do nothing about it. Also more importantly, mislabel their offers. For context I used the Uber Eats offer, 40% off. The offer at the time just said you need to pay on your Revolut card, so I presumed Apple Pay would count. It wasn’t communicated on the offer and I think it’s fairly normal for people to describe Apple Pay as “paying by card”. Revolut support at first told me to wait until the transaction cleared and then told me that I wasn’t eligible for cashback as it was an upfront discount. Shambles. They didn’t uphold my complaint, need to take it to FoS because man they need to improve customer service.

• Lloyd’s had a glitch when they were doing their switching bonus in that you couldn’t sign up via the website. Eventually called up and mentioned that they’d hard searched me X amount of times and that it was a website glitch that caused this and that I’d like to make a complaint due to potential credit report damage. They paid compensation and removed additional searches.

5 Likes

Really interesting - thanks @Recchan.

I wonder if @Liam can make this a wiki or a sticky or whatever it is that allows routine updates as a community resource?

Might be worth it, but open to abuse by people who feel they’ve been wronged by a bank when they haven’t.

I am by the belief a business shows how good it is once a problem occurs though, which is why I’m with Starling when not with a provider giving a better value product (i.e. Barclays paying me £3 a month to have the account and Halifax £5 a month for the same reason)

" 257 cases about Revolut and upheld 33 per cent of them in favour"

Questions:

What is 33% of 257 cases?
Now taking the number of upheld cases, now divide that by the number of customers they had in 2019 and work out a percentage?
Now, once you worked out a percentage, give me the answer and let me know the exactly what the issue is?

IF you do the maths, you have a greater chance of dying from cancer than having to raise a complaint about Revolut to the FCA that is actually upheld.

When Revolut receives 3000+ complaints, it is a demonstration that the company is able to deal with the mast majority of complaints with out clients having to go to the FCA.

2 Likes

I guess you’re making the point that the number of complaints relative to customer base is pretty insignificant. Maybe.

But the nature of the complaints may be the issue. For me, something as fundamental as repeated demands to re-verify identity is concerning. It’s happened to me four times to date.

I’ve not complained simply because it felt pointless. What is to the point, however, is such service prevented Revolut becoming a credible current account of choice. That matters.

3 Likes

If you read the forums on Fintech and Monzo, it is as if some kind of earthquake or another virus is now spreading among the customer. It is VERY insignificant and there is no maybe about it.

Revolut cant win, towards the end of last year Revolut was in the newspapers not doing enough cracking down on money laundering. Had users saying “my account has been locked 4 times”, I have used revolut for years without issues.

Those who have had issues, and when you investigate further, one complaining their account was locked because of the transferred money for a friend, another after receiving £100,000 in breach of the terms and conditions.

You can read the forums about folk accounts being locked down, but in most cases, there is always a reason for an account being locked.

I was hampered three times. That’s at least twice too many.

Good for you, but for those caught unawares and potentially with significant sums on account, the implications could be grim.

That’s why they can’t be a serious contender as a full bank. At least for me.

3 Likes

I think assuming that things work well because you personally have a good experience is on a par with assuming the whole thing is a busted flush because you’ve had one (or two, or three) bad experience(s).

I am sure that the vast majority of people have a perfectly great experience with Revolut. The worry seems to be for those that fall between the cracks.

The noises coming from the firm suggest that it’s always somebody else’s fault when something goes wrong.

There doesn’t seem to be a continual process to ensure that progressively fewer and fewer people fall victim to their algorithm. If you do, then, ‘ah well, that’s too bad’.

3 Likes

Why?

Like 99.9% of their customers.

For the 0.01%, and one needs to ask why.

Most are not victims.

It is worth reading the following blog:

Quote from the blog:

I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews…

We are aware that a lot of the fraudster ex-customers are the ones that shout the loudest, on social media and review sites. This can be upsetting for anyone to read, and particularly demoralising for the team who work so hard to provide a good service to our proper customers, but it is something we would like all our customer base to be aware of.

In fact, one of the tricks some fraudsters play is to try to pressure Dozens (along with other fintechs) into returning their ill-gotten money by flooding review sites with poor reviews.

So we’re prepared that by exiting suspected fraudsters, many will air grievances on social media and review sites claiming we have taken their money. The truth is we have done just the opposite – we are returning the ill-gotten money, wherever possible, to the victim of the fraud, and closing our door permanently on the fraudsters.

1 Like

Well, Revolut have you in their corner - that much is clear. :+1:

2 Likes

I am sorry, but if ever there was a line that was a red flag about a company, that was it.

Perhaps they’ve been unfortunate to gave been saddled with an unusually high number of ex-customers that are fraudsters. I don’t know.

I’ve never seen a financial firm bemoaning the fact that they seem to attract a high number of fraudsters, never mind trying to suggest that anyone who submits a negative review is a fraudster.

They would do well to delete that post and try and pretend it never happened.

4 Likes

The issue for me is not just about the number of complaints. It’s the fact that, of all those complaints that make it as far as the FCA, a third are upheld against Revolut, which suggests some very poor judgement by Revolut. As any good lawyer will tell you, settle disputes you are going to lose!

4 Likes