Travelling in France 🇫🇷

Read First

This is the part of a multi-part guide to travelling across the world! It’ll inform you of everything from the currency that is used in the country, the currency symbol to the card usage and advice on what ATM’s that you should be using. I will also try to incorporate any popular specific mechants. All information should have an accuracy date that covers the section.

This guide assumes that you are using one of the Neobanks that give you a mid-market rate when it comes to money exchanges, and that they don’t charge you massive amounts foreign-ATM withdrawals. (Starling et al)

Obviously, using the information you find in this guide is at your own risk and I shall accept no liability.

Relevant Information

• France uses the Euro
  • ISO 4217 Currency Code: EUR
  • Symbol:
  • Prices tend to be written as 100.00€ but 100,00€ is valid and apparently 100€00 can also be used as a variant

Card Usage

MasterCard, Maestro and Visa are pretty widely accepted across all of France and you’ll find them accepted at both ATMs as well as the actual merchant owned point-of-sale card machines. Contactless is getting more common although don’t expect everywhere to have it currently! As usual carry two cards on different networks (Visa, Mastercard, Maestro) to ensure you’re not left to die in a network outage! Carrying cash is also recommended.

ATMs

There will be (Free) in brackets if there is no charge for the ATM usage, and there will be prices in brackets if there are known prices. If I am unsure there will be no prices in brackets. If there are any notes about specific bank ATMs, I will also put them within these brackets, separated by a comma.

Avoid Euronet ATMs like the plague. They’re good options for locals but they practically rob anyone using a foreign card, charging very high access fees!

ATMs are pretty easy to find when in the more populated areas of France, but when you get to rural areas this is likely to be a different story, so if you’re going to a rural area I recommend withdrawing cash.

• BNP Paribas (Free)
  • Crédit Agricole
  • Crédit Mutuel
  • Société Générale
  • La Poste

Merchant Data

Reply in the topic with detailed information for this to get updated!

Misc

Reply in the topic with detailed information for this to get updated!

Disclaimer: The information in this guide was acquired from numerous sources and is often not of my own experiences

Date of Accuracy: 18/11/2018