Travelling in Hong Kong SAR, China 🇭🇰

Read First

This is but a single section of a multi-part guide to travelling across the world! It’ll inform you of everything from the currency that is used in the country, the currency symbol to the card usage and advice on what ATM’s that you should be using. I will also try to incorporate any popular specific mechants. All information should have an accuracy date that covers the section.

This guide assumes that you are using one of the Neobanks that give you a mid-market rate when it comes to money exchanges, and that they don’t charge you massive amounts foreign-ATM withdrawals. (Starling et al)

Obviously, using the information you find in this guide is at your own risk and I shall accept no liability.

Relevant Information

• Hong Kong SAR, China uses the Hong Kong Dollar (Chinese: 港幣)
  • ISO 4217 Currency Code: HKD
  • Symbol: HK$, $ or 元
  • Prices can be written as HK$100 but it seems like they’re normally written using the standard $ with no HK as a prefix

Card Usage

You should be able to use your card in quite a lot of places, chip and pin being normal to use in most of them. There are quite a few shops however, that don’t take card (I’m not sure if this just applies to MasterCard or others also) so plan for this in advance and ensure that you bring cash with you everywhere as a secondary means of payment.

Depending on the type of card terminal you may have to put your card down as a credit or a debit, this will vary by terminal as already mentioned, so there’s not much more I can say on this topic.

DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) is prevelent in Hong Kong also, sadly, so make sure you opt to be billed in the local currency to save yourself quite a bit on bank given exchange rates, instead of letting the ATM provider decide on one for you. (It seems like the cashiers tend to do this before the transaction from what I’ve read, so specifically ask to be billed in the local currency!)

ATMs

This is where Hong Kong really shines, there is an abundance of ATMs and lots of them are fee-free! Just to mention though, the ATMs here tend to use magstripe from what I have been reading, so make sure you have enabled this on your card!

There will be (Free) in brackets if there is no charge for the ATM usage, and there will be prices in brackets if there are known prices. If I am unsure there will be no prices in brackets. If there are any notes about specific bank ATMs, I will also put them within these brackets, separated by a comma.

• CitiBank (Free)
  • HSBC (Free)
  • Hang Seng (Free)

Merchant Data

Reply in the topic with detailed information for this to get updated!

Misc

Reply in the topic with detailed information for this to get updated!

Disclaimer: The information in this guide was acquired from numerous sources and is often not of my own experiences

Date of Accuracy: 18/11/2018