Updated "tone of voice"

Great use of time and money folks.

2 Likes

Indeed. So don’t use words like “ain’t” but “Hey y’all” are fine ?

1 Like

This is why they won’t last. Too focused on their inclusive brand when they should be building a good product

3 Likes

The Tone of Voice page has existed for a few years its not new.

The “Updated” version adds a couple hundred words to it. This has taken one person about 30 mins so lets not go nuts.

https://www.diffchecker.com/aCQPPVjg

\ Can I say go nuts?

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

Looking at the actual changes there’s absolutely nothing remotely objectionable there. Only one of those changes is about inclusivity - the rest is just plain speaking, which is hard to get riled about - and even that is mostly about not using idioms that people from non-English speaking backgrounds might struggle to understand.

The one about not using blacklist and whitelist has been standard in just about every large corporate I’ve worked at in years. This feels very much like “nothing to see here folks”.

1 Like

I’d love some of these people to come and spend a day in my workplace lol
Some of our workplace banter would probably be considered borderline illegal.
But it is just the culture of the job and everyone irrespective of sex, race, colour, etc. knows that.
No offence is ever intended, and no offence is taken.

4 Likes

I guess they are ensuring that nobody will see them as a worthwhile buy out.

4 Likes

Usually the case, of course.

That’s the assumption. Risky to make that generalisation. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It helps, I think, that we are a pretty close community who all know each other very well.
We all know everyone’s boundaries, and they are never crossed.
Yes, we all have a laugh and a joke with each other, but outright insults are never tolerated.

3 Likes

There was a time when this sort of thing was novel and Millenials got excited about it. As such, all these HR pet projects provided good PR for Monzo.

However, I think now “wokeness” is more commonplace it’s going to start boring the people who initially got hyped up about it. I think Monzo needs to get back to building a good product and a genuinely inclusive community.

3 Likes

So woke they fell back asleep

1 Like