What's going on with Jaja?

Is something up with Jaja? I got in touch with them just before Christmas regarding a Section 75 claim - well, I tried to get in touch with them. Two emails, two in-app messages, no response at all. I’ve just tweeted them and noticed a lot of complaints on their feed. Some people are even saying they have paid their account through the app but the money hasn’t been credited.

https://twitter.com/jajayourlife/with_replies

From a quick Google, it seems they’ve been struggling since late last year, presumably after acquiring half a million credit card customers.

2 Likes

Yeah, have you seen their TrustPilot score? :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Yes indeed. It seems they’ve lost their way rather. Bit off a bit too much, perhaps?

2 Likes

Does anyone take TrustPilot seriously? Like, it’s well known that rarely good service yields a review yet bad service always yields a bad review

Edit: not even bad service, sometimes just an experienced perceived to be poor

Like when one idiot said I was speaking over them and admitted that I said I couldn’t hear them… meaning I didn’t know I was speaking over them

Sometimes they even invent words that people use, like when they said that I said “love”, which is not a word I use when speaking to women. It’s not in the culture here

1 Like

Disgruntled customers are far more likely to leave a review than those who are satisfied with the service they have received, absolutely, but with a Trustpilot score lower than Barclays, HSBC, NatWest, RBS and Lloyds it’s clear that a greater proportion of Jaja’s user base is receiving the poor service that warrants such negative reviews.

3 Likes

True, it’s about strength in numbers with reviews really, to gauge overall sentiment - more so than the actual content of the reviews.

1 Like

hsbc is a 100+ year old company with billions of customers globally and Jaja are a startup with less than 200m

1 Like

I’ve just brought up their web page. It doesn’t even bode well in my eyes, when you see a notice stating “We are currently not accepting new applications for our credit card”.

In which case, why the hell would I even want to bother ever applying for one of your credit cards in the future?

Quite frankly, at this moment in time, I’d rather just apply for an Amazon credit card because I’m pretty certain I’d have no trouble having one of their pieces of plastic in my wallet within 10 days.

3 Likes

Not sure I quite grasp your point regarding the age and size of HSBC vs Jaja? If anything, I tend to expect significantly higher Trustpilot scores for the new fintechs versus the antiquated dinosaurs; just look at Starling (4.5 Excellent), Monzo (4.5 Excellent) and Revolut (4.3 Excellent) - that’s a shockingly stark contrast with Jaja!

I think that might be a bit of an overestimate :wink:

4 Likes

The consensus seems to be that the migration has knocked them over. Partly because it broke things for the migrated customers and partly because Jaja just wasn’t ready for a much older demographic that expects near instant phone service.

They should have migrated in batches, basically, but the deal locked them in to an all or nothing approach and a single date… Sounds familiar for some reason :joy:

2 Likes

cough TSB cough

I don’t, I expect old people who have had a HSBC account and their parents who’ve had one and their parents who’ve had one to leave a good review at some point. Their card gets stolen, HSBC refunds the money.

“We haven’t had a problem with HSBC for 3 generations, they’ve looked after us well”

You’d be correct, it’s actually closer to 0 customers fi you’d round to the nearest billion (they have 40m customers). I overestimated HSBC’s overseas presence.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a demographic problem. I can’t have an issue where my card declines in the middle of an Asian country and I have to wait 30 minutes for a Revolut live chat, when I know damn well that they’re going to think I’m delaying it deliberately. Phone service needs to be for instant or very quick important things at the very least.

1 Like

Yes and no to that, I would say.

I agree with you that everyone wants phone service in an emergency, but older customers want it almost all the time. In fact, I would say it’s now their primary channel for interaction - as they do not want to go out, given Covid, and in-person was their previous preferred option.

They often struggle with self-service, so to be able to talk to someone who can figure out what to do for them is a valuable service (even if it’s just the person at the other end of the phone doing a simple task on their call-centre computer for them, which they could have done themselves online or via an app).

1 Like

I think it was a mix of panic among an older customer base not used to using apps for banking and the fact that accounts were transferred with whatever balances they had - so it wasn’t possible for customers just to wait a while for a fix, they needed to sort out payments and so on…

1 Like

Yes, that’s probably it!

Just for the sake of completeness, it turns out you can’t transfer your balance from Jaja either, as other credit cards providers just don’t recognise them.

However, people have been successful using their old Post Office card numbers, so that might be useful info

1 Like

I messaged them a week ago to close my account, and haven’t heard anything back. According to the in-app chat they haven’t even read my message yet. Guess I’ll just freeze the card in the app and wait for them to eventually contact me.

2 Likes

I still haven’t had a response via any channel. My in-app message is also unread.

2 Likes