What's the point of Pingit?

Does anyone have the slightest clue what Pingit is meant to accomplish?

As they’re moving bPay over to it, I’ve just opened an account. Don’t really feel like making the trek down to Barclays to verify my ID though for the full KYC jazz.

I also don’t have any friends that use it, but by the time someone signs up to it surely I could have just made the bank transfer with Starling or Revolut by then? Feels like it’d only be useful if you went out of your way to use it.

I’m literally at a loss of why it exists, only reason I can think of immediately is to make business payments easier, which if anything I disagree with. The businesses aren’t branded, it’s by actual location so you’d have to know the business address.

So the only reason I can see to use it is in the hope that bPay gets a nice UI within a few months. God will need to intervene if they try making me pay another £10 for a wristband though, considering I’ve had mine not a year now.

Does anyone have the slightest clue what Pingit is meant to accomplish?

As they’re moving bPay over to it, I’ve just opened an account. Don’t really feel like making the trek down to Barclays to verify my ID though for the full KYC jazz.

I also don’t have any friends that use it, but by the time someone signs up to it surely I could have just made the bank transfer with Starling or Revolut by then? Feels like it’d only be useful if you went out of your way to use it.

I’m literally at a loss of why it exists, only reason I can think of immediately is to make business payments easier, which if anything I disagree with. The businesses aren’t branded, it’s by actual location so you’d have to know the business address.

So the only reason I can see to use it is in the hope that bPay gets a nice UI within a few months. God will need to intervene if they try making me pay another £10 for a wristband though, considering I’ve had mine not a year now.

Edit: Pingit I deem as a complete failure, reading inside the app and some of it is just top tier retardation squeezed into a wannabe banking app.

Want to change device? Mobile number? Linked bank account? Open a new account.

Note that the ID you verify with Barclays each time will need to be reverified. Also note that any funds in the account? Not carried over. Payment requests? Nah, fork carrying that over.

To even sweeten the cake more, saved it as a payee on your actual banks apps, because they offer you a sort code and account number? Fork yourself, you’re given a new one.

I might actually have to abandon bPay, the current app is garbage for sure but at least it’s not forking irritating after I download it for 5 bloody seconds!

Tl;dr pile of shit.

@Liam fix the site please it’s giving me some shit about being too similar to a recent post, so I’ve had to put it as a reply.

Not happy about the twenty character limit either!

(Dan Mullen) #4

You just needed to edit your original post rather than create a second one :slightly_smiling_face:

As I’ve mentioned before, this really needs to appear at the top otherwise it’s pointless! It’s intended for people who feel the whole post is too long to read, so either people won’t see it or they see it after they’ve read the whole thing anyway.

I think someone perhaps got out of the wrong side of the bed [s]in the early hours of[s] this morning… :thinking:

Pingit is just Barclays implementation of PayM open to everyone not just Barclays Customers, millions use it. I don’t personally, but its used. Adding bPay to it, is a logical choice, they are then showing all the customers with other banks, what bPay is.

(Dan Mullen) #6

Ok, fair play… I missed a forward slash on my markup and tried to edit it and got the same error message about a similar post. This has definitely changed. I doubt it’s anything @Liam had done, more likely a bug introduced in a Discourse update.

https://giphy.com/gifs/foxadhd-fox-animation-domination-high-def-gSklcHgtrjdEA

(Liam) #7

Comments and suggestions about the site to the right place please.

I can confirm from when I was a Starling customer I used Pingit for Paym access… Upon getting a new phone I had to reverify my ID in branch to remove the £200 limit.

Over an hour later they figured out how to do it; apparently no-one in that branch had done it before or knew how. (it’s a busy branch too)

All credit to them though as they were determined to sort it and they were very friendly about it all.

Using Pingit now, as a a Barclays customer is as easy as linking your account to it.

They’ve taken the constant nagging for contacts access straight from the Monzo playbook though :joy: